Speakers with deep/powerful bass

I used to have a system with large speakers. Each speaker had two 12" woofers. When I would play Hard as a Rock from the AC-DC BallBreaker CD there was a moment at 35 seconds into the song when it felt like someone was jumping on the floor behind me. This would only happen if my JPS Labs Golden Flutes were looped into the system, and it was playing very loud. Without the Golden Flutes it didn't happen. It was a truly frightening experience the first time it happened, because I was home alone. Has anyone else had anything like this occur?

128x128grundy1700

I was with my friend George Bischoff who was the main designer of Scaena speakers at Harry Pearson's years ago. The Scaena were line sources with planar tweeters and dynamic mids. The woofers were powered modular 18" woofers with equalization(actually they rolled off from 180 Hz but were rolled in about 65Hz and equalized flat to about 16 Hz and yes it took hundreds of watts). I believe Harry's set had 3 sets of bass modules.

Anyway we were playing a cut from a CD with music from the sound track of a movie called Lost World. The cut we used according to Harry had a real volcano in the trach that went down to at least 16 Hz. Harry liked loud. And as the cut played I looked at Harry's and my friend's eyes and they were like saucers. I could tell they were waiting for flying woofers. But all we got was tons of very tight loud bass.

I got a copy of the CD and have tried it on multiple systems that claimed they went DEEP. But nothing, so far, has come close.

I had Salk Songtowers that, all of a sudden, had deep, powerful bass. Had them for years before I put them in a new position. I thought the reviews of this speaker’s bass response were mostly hyperbole until I placed them in a decent room, in a decent spot with nothing between them or around them but air.

It’s really the room. I’m guessing most of us have no idea what our speakers are truly capable of. I don’t even think I found a perfect position but simply came closer than any time before.

So really, I had a room that produced amazing bass. I've since moved, sold those speakers and have invested triple my investment. Although I like the sound of my new system...it really falls short of that room...

I have a pair of AR303s that are driven by a Parasound Halo A21. 12" woofer acoustic suspension "Bookshelf". They are set 4 feet above the floor. Enough bass to shake the room with the right song or movie. No subwoofer needed.

Just buy some Svs 4000 or ultra subs they will go lower and with more impact 

with their high current amplifiers built in and 13-16 inch drivers 

buying 2 will balance out the rooms Bass.