Audiphile Press: Am I jaded, experienced, or has it declined?

I remember Audio, Stereophile and TAS as an older teen getting me excited about music reproduction and technology. Getting out to listen to speakers and find gear I could afford to take me to music Nirvana.

I still like the gear, still like talking about it, comparing tech, sharing experiences and advice, but I can’t remember the last time I really thought "wow, that’s good writing!"

How about you?

Has too much press devolved to covering only the most expensive gear?  Do we lack better international gear coverage?  Does it all look like it could be easily written by an AI chat bot?

erik_squires

Bad writing is universal these days, and not only relegated to the hifi press.  Very few publications stand out with good writing anymore.

I subscribe to Stereophile and TAS. Read the odd article. Knowing that every equipment "review" isn’t really a review makes for boring reading. The mags are ultimately manufacturers’ brochures supporting the back-slapping in-crowd's audio lifestyle. I do miss Art Dudley though.

"Has too much press devolved to covering only the most expensive gear? "

It sure looks like it. People write about what they can afford, what they get their hands on. I watch a lot of youtube reviews, the midfi stuff is way more in focus there.

I bet that ~100 times more people care about 500 dollar speakers than 5,000 dollar speakers. So it’s somewhat of an anomaly that the mainstream audiophile publications focus on the 5K and up but really 7 - 25K stuff mostly

@srinisr ChatGPT has only been trained up to the year 2019, so I asked for a review of an older speaker, slightly tongue in cheek:

My question:

Write a review of the Bowers and Wilkins 801 D3 speakers, in the style of a carnival barker.

ChatGPT’s answer:

Step right up, folks! Are you in the market for some top-notch speakers that will blow your mind? Look no further than the Bowers and Wilkins 801 D3! These bad boys are the epitome of high-fidelity sound, with a sleek and stylish design that will make all your audiophile friends green with envy.

The 801 D3s feature diamond dome tweeters for crystal clear highs, and Kevlar cone mid/bass drivers for rich, powerful lows. And with their advanced Matrix bracing, you’ll experience minimal distortion and maximum sound quality.

But that’s not all folks! These speakers are built to last, with a solid construction that will stand up to years of use and abuse. And with their versatile connectivity options, you can hook them up to any audio source you please.

So don’t delay, folks! Treat your ears to the best in audio technology with the Bowers and Wilkins 801 D3 speakers. You won’t be disappointed!

My even better question:

Write a review of the Bowers and Wilkins 801 D3 speakers, in the style of a Shakespeare tragedy.

ChatGPT’s even better answer:

Oh, cruel fate that doth mock the hopes of man! Forsooth, I didst lay mine eyes upon the Bowers and Wilkins 801 D3 speakers, and they didst seem the very embodiment of audio perfection.

With diamond dome tweeters that doth sing sweetly, and Kevlar cone mid/bass drivers that doth rumble with the force of a thousand thunderbolts, these speakers doth promise to transport the listener to realms of auditory ecstasy. And verily, the Matrix bracing doth ensure that the sound doth remain pure and true, untainted by the curse of distortion.

But alas, mine heart doth ache with sorrow, for these speakers doth come at a cost that doth verily beggar the soul. Indeed, the price doth make even the most wealthy of men hesitate, and doth render the dream of owning such marvels of audio engineering nought but a fleeting fantasy.

Thus, I do bequeath unto thee, dear reader, a warning: Beware the siren song of the Bowers and Wilkins 801 D3 speakers, for they doth promise heaven, but deliver heartbreak.

I couldn’t resist one somewhat more realistic test (this could get addictive):

Question:

Write a review of the Bowers and Wilkins 801 D3 speakers, in the style of John Atkinson.

ChatGPT’s answer:

The Bowers and Wilkins 801 D3 speakers are a true tour-de-force in audio engineering. From the moment I unboxed them and began my listening tests, I was struck by their build quality and attention to detail.

The diamond dome tweeters are a highlight, with their ability to deliver crystal clear high frequency reproduction that is both detailed and natural-sounding. The Kevlar cone mid/bass drivers also impressed, providing a solid foundation for the music with deep, tight bass and well-defined mids.

The Matrix bracing system does an admirable job of reducing cabinet resonances, which in turn results in minimal distortion and an overall more accurate sound.

The 801 D3s are not only impressive technically but also in their aesthetic design, they are a real conversation piece, with a sleek and stylish design that will complement any room they are placed in.

The only downside is the price, which is quite steep, but for those who can afford them, the Bowers and Wilkins 801 D3 speakers are an excellent investment and will provide years of listening pleasure.