If you had $12k / £10k to upgrade your analogue front-end...

Hi all,

I am upgrading my system in my listening room bit-by-bit. This room is for focused listening of music only. No movies. In the future I will be looking looking to upgrade my analogue front-end and am thinking of a budget of around $12k / £10k for a turntable, tonearm, cart and phono stage/pre-amp. I listen to all sorts of music from electronic, bass-heavy vinyl, jazz, hip-hop, rock (new and old), ambient (Cinematic Orchestra, Nils Frahm etc...) and lots of soul/funk type tracks. So quite varied.

If you had $12k/£10k to spend, what combination of turntable, tonearm, cart and phone stage/pre-amp would you go for? I'm looking for suggestions to help with my research. I'm unsure what the balance should be between them. For example, should I go for a Rega Planar 10 with Aphelion 2 cart (£6,840) and give myself just over £3k to spend on a phono stage. Or spend less on the cart (Rega Planar 10 with Apheta 3 is £4,950) and get a more expensive phono stage.

Turntable brands I've been thinking of are Rega, Clearaudio, Technics, VPI, AVID, Thorens, Michell Engineering, VPI, SME etc... but don't really know where to start.

Any help would be much appreciated.

cainullah

@cainullah 

yes, the kids first!

and I hope moving back to your renewed house will be a joy...

I would look at the SME Model 6 with an Ortofon Candza Blue or Bronze cartridge.  If you opt for a valve based phono stage, I would go with the Blue.  If you opt for SS, I would go with the Bronze.  The Chord Symphonic would put you a bit over budget but is superb.  The Sugden Masterclass, Moon 310P and Unison Research Phono One would all be good options.  

VPI Prime Sig

Gold Note PH-10

Gold Note PSU-10

Lyra Delos

….puts you at $12,200 msrp

(add Luminous Audio Technology Synchestra Reference IC’s at $500-700 and you’ll be rockin’ and jazzin’ nicely.)