Causes of CD player skipping?

Hello,
I own a Sony CDP-M555ES 400 CD megachanger that has began skipping pretty badly, especially on tracks 1, 2, and sometimes 3. The problem seems worse with CD-R's and CD-RW's. The tracks will begin playing, and then the player will skip to another place on the track, to the beginning of the track, or to another track.
I tried cleaning the laser lens and this did not work.
Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Thanks for your help.
daltonlanny
The laser mechanisms deteriorate with age and use so it is likely this part needs to be replaced. There is also an adjustment process that is required that typically requires some test bench equipment so it is not simply the installation of a new part. As such, it is generally not a self service item.

The last time I did this for a Denon the part was about $70. I've got a scope and other equipment so I was able to do it myself (a service manual showing the alignment procedure was another $15 or $20) but I figure most shops would want an hour or two of labor to replace, adjust and test it so it wouldn't surprise me if the repair cost ran $200 or so.

You may find it wiser to replace the unit from eBay or even use this as the opportunity to move to a PC based music server.
There may be some hope for your Sony yet ...

Sometimes CD players will skip when the factory lubricant on the guide rails that the laser rides on dries up.

When the laser sled comes in contact with the dried up lubircant patch on the guide rails ... it binds up and stops momentarily ... losing lock with the CDs Datastream and skips ... once past the spot where the dried up Lubricant is stuck to the rail ... the laser will regain lock with the data stream ... and the player plays fine until you hit the next patch/spot of dried up lubricant

This sympton is very common with older Cd players that get heavy use ... the LUB dries up

If you're handy ... just remove top cover to see if you can see the guide rails and clean them thoroughly before re-Lubricating

If you don't want to fiddle with the unit ... take it to a repair shop and tell them that you want them to clean and adjust the laser and be sure to " LUBRICATE THE GUIDE RAILS"... as a general maintance service ...

If you tell the tech that the player is skipping ... then the tech will just about automatically tell you that the laser assy/drive needs to be replaced (he makes more $$$ replacing drives then cleaning them and he's just about assured that when he replaces the drive with a new one that the skipping will go away.

Your Sony may still have plenty of life left in it ... just don't tell the tech it's skipping ... tell him you want a maintance/service just like you would take your car in for a Lube, Oil, and Filter service

HTH Dave
If it is indeed the laser guide rail lube that is dried up,
what kind of lubricant is used to relube them?
Thanks for your replies so far.
I agree with Dave.
I had the same symptom on my old Yamaha cdx1030 (18 years old and my son is still using it). I used wd-40 to clean the rails then light oil to lub them.
Note: Dont use too much oil so wipe off any excess.
Good Luck