Subwoofer boom is too much for me...

Could I tone down the boom on my subwoofer by plugging the port with something like a washcloth?  Have you ever tried this and had success?

Thanks for your thoughts.

128x128mikeydee

@erik_squires

A well integrated subwoofer is a rarity

That isn’t true among home theater enthusiasts, even entry level receivers have EQ wizards that walk you through sub integration. There is NO difference between music and movies when integrating a sub.

I estimate 1 in 8 audiophiles with subs actually can take full advantage of 1 sub.

This isn’t really helpful at all, it might be 1 in 8, or 1 in 2, or 1 in 100. Why not post how you integrated your sub?
For anyone reading this who wants better bass the recipe isn’t secret. Get a preamp with a "sub out" and uses some type of room correction software. Place your sub like the manufacturer suggests, stack bass traps from floor to ceiling in the corners of your room, then run the room correction EQ wizard per the instructions.
If you don’t want to buy a new preamp just get this subwoofer equalizer:

DSPeaker Subwoofer Equalizer:

https://www.dspeaker.com/anti-mode-8033

Bass traps:

That isn’t true among home theater enthusiasts, even entry level receivers have EQ wizards that walk you through sub integration.

I’m cool to the idea that room correction software is a panacea for several reasons:

• As we’ve kind of danced around, EQ is only 1 aspect of proper sub integration. Measurement, EQ, placement, and room treatments all matter a great deal.
  • EQ correction software quality of end results varies by a LOT!  Running your receiver's room correction algorithm tells me very little.

As an aside, one brand I think does an excellent job, for a lot of money, is JL Audio. Otherwise I’d much rather manage the subwoofer EQ and integration myself, using miniDSP and OmniMic for calibration.

There is NO difference between music and movies when integrating a sub.

Sadly not really true. The goals of a HT LFE channel is effects. The goal of a 2-channel stereo is music. They don’t get set equally.

Why not post how you integrated your sub?

I have, often. Hope to write a new blog post on this soon. :)

@erik_squires

I didn’t recommend EQ as a panacea, The process is to include EQ AFTER placing the sub as the manufacturer suggests and adding bass traps (which you yourself use in your system and neglected to mention in your post).

As for goals of LFE and stereo in music they don’t matter. Bass is bass and the sub is integrated or it isn’t.

If you want to prove this for yourself try measuring. A well integrated sub will measure well for movies and music. If your sub measures well for one and not the other it isn’t well integrated.

BTW, I forgot to mention, always use at least TWO subs if possible rather than one.

I didn’t recommend EQ as a panacea, 

Then I don't understand the logic of your previous statement, or why you felt it important to try to correct mine: 

A well integrated subwoofer is a rarity

That isn’t true among home theater enthusiasts, even entry level receivers have EQ wizards that walk you through sub integration. There is NO difference between music and movies when integrating a sub.

One would induce from your statement that HT enthusiasts with automatic EQ have well-integrated subwoofers.  I stated it was not really enough, and now you state you never said it was.... ??? Do you see my confusion? 

@erik_squires

I see your confusion, yes, it is plain to see from your post that you don’t understand the logic of how to set up a sub for proper integration with music and movies.

I will break down my post for you, NP:

For anyone reading this who wants better bass the recipe isn’t secret. Get a preamp with a "sub out" and uses some type of room correction software.

Here are some links as examples:

A) https://www.dspeaker.com/anti-mode-x2

B) https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/model=str-pre-amplifier/page=overview

There are many others available, these are two examples.

Place your sub like the manufacturer suggests.

Why reinvent the wheel right? The company that built the sub generally know how to place it. Here is a link as an example.

Stack bass traps from floor to ceiling in the corners of your room:

When it comes to bass traps I feel quantity is very important, this is a starting point of course. I notice you use GIK Acoustics so here is A LINK to an article by them to learn more:

then run the room correction EQ wizard per the instructions.

You will need to run the software based on the instructions that come with your preamp or device.
I hope you aren’t confused anymore, just follow the above step by step, take measurements and post when you are done. Thanks.