Subwoofer boom is too much for me...

Could I tone down the boom on my subwoofer by plugging the port with something like a washcloth?  Have you ever tried this and had success?

Thanks for your thoughts.

128x128mikeydee

If you go to a jazz club and hear a stand-up bass, it's clear, but not boomy.  Same with the double basses in an orchestra.  The low notes resonate, but they don't bowl you over.

Yes, but you have to pay attention to the polarity of the washcloth. The label goes towards the inside of the speaker body.

I think that the goal most listeners have when adding a subwoofer is to keep the same tonal character of the main speakers, but add the lowest notes AND increase the overall dynamic range.

To keep the original speakers but make them sound as if they can play at any volume without limit. 

Subwoofers, properly integrated to the room and system do this.  The problem is "proper integration" is a two-semester course.  One of the most resistant types of audophiles to subs is the ESL owner.  They think of their sound as crystal clear, detailed, articulate and FAST!  How can a 15" driver possibly keep up?

The answer is always in the frequency response of the mains and the sub, and by this I include time domain phenomenon which affecets the frequency domain. 

A well integrated subwoofer is a rarity.  I estimate 1 in 8 audiophiles with subs actually can take full advantage of 1 sub, so then they go looking for more subs.  :D :D :D

@erik_squires

A well integrated subwoofer is a rarity

That isn’t true among home theater enthusiasts, even entry level receivers have EQ wizards that walk you through sub integration. There is NO difference between music and movies when integrating a sub.

I estimate 1 in 8 audiophiles with subs actually can take full advantage of 1 sub.

This isn’t really helpful at all, it might be 1 in 8, or 1 in 2, or 1 in 100. Why not post how you integrated your sub?
For anyone reading this who wants better bass the recipe isn’t secret. Get a preamp with a "sub out" and uses some type of room correction software. Place your sub like the manufacturer suggests, stack bass traps from floor to ceiling in the corners of your room, then run the room correction EQ wizard per the instructions.
If you don’t want to buy a new preamp just get this subwoofer equalizer:

DSPeaker Subwoofer Equalizer:

https://www.dspeaker.com/anti-mode-8033

Bass traps:

That isn’t true among home theater enthusiasts, even entry level receivers have EQ wizards that walk you through sub integration.

I’m cool to the idea that room correction software is a panacea for several reasons:

• As we’ve kind of danced around, EQ is only 1 aspect of proper sub integration. Measurement, EQ, placement, and room treatments all matter a great deal.
  • EQ correction software quality of end results varies by a LOT!  Running your receiver's room correction algorithm tells me very little.

As an aside, one brand I think does an excellent job, for a lot of money, is JL Audio. Otherwise I’d much rather manage the subwoofer EQ and integration myself, using miniDSP and OmniMic for calibration.

There is NO difference between music and movies when integrating a sub.

Sadly not really true. The goals of a HT LFE channel is effects. The goal of a 2-channel stereo is music. They don’t get set equally.

Why not post how you integrated your sub?

I have, often. Hope to write a new blog post on this soon. :)