What Does It Take To Surpass A SME V?

Thinking about the possibility of searching for a new tonearm. The table is a SOTA Cosmos Eclipse. Cartridge currently in use is a Transfiguration Audio Proteus, and it also looks like I will also have an Ortofon Verismo if a diamond replacement occurs without incident. 

The V is an early generation one but in good condition with no issues. Some folks never thought highly of the arm, others thought it quite capable. So it's a bit decisive. 

The replacement has to be 9 to 10.5 inches. I have wondered if Origin Live is worth exploring? Perhaps a generation old Triplanar from the pre owned market?

Any thoughts on what are viable choices? 

neonknight

I haven’t read the whole 3ad but if it hasn’t been indicated yet I would say look at the Audiomods production as well.
Several owners indicate not to use the silicone damper of the SmeV, to proceed with an internal rewiring with pure silver wiring and replace the output cable with others of better quality always in pure silver; the improvements would be evident.

As said in previous Posts, if it weren’t for the Rega Design being so successful and sought after, there would most likely not be a SME IV, V, 309, along with a host of others that poached the Rega Geometry and Design.

Sorry to contradict you but Rega with the RB300 and Sme with the V were both marketed the same year (1985/86)
Unless there was industrial espionage, no one copied from the other.

The RB300 was a sale item in 1983, it was receiving rave reviews in 1983/84 and selling by the Shedload, taking away sales from other Brands who did not know how to get a lookin.

The SME V Debuted as a Prototype in 1984 andwas not a sale item, it was a shot across the bow to Rega showing the Market a Up Market Rega was in the making.

The explanation for the delay of the launch, was that supply chain materials were being tested.

The general consensus is the Rega was interrogated to the point a Lawsuit was not in the making. When the legal side was no longer a concern the SME V was launched in 1985.

SME got away with it and so followed the early upgrade options for the Rega from Third Party Suppliers, which evolved into more Rega Type Arms.

I am not disputing the amount of Brands with Rega Type Arms, much Joy and Pride f Ownership has been attained.

I am a SME IV user 'no more', who was wed to this arm for many years.

Also I am a Audiomods Series Five user 'no more', but could not really differentiate the IV and Series Five.

These arms are a design that from my evaluation are able to create a perception of constraint and a excess of control on a replay.

It is the perception of this control and how it has become repellent, no longer attractive that has been the motivation for me to make the change. 

As these designs are varied across the Brands, in the methodologies to produce them with serious considerations for the methods used to upgrade, it is off interest to me why there is so much of a muchness detected across the Arm Design in use.

A friend has been doing Freelance work for a Company that is producing Tonearms to compete with the Rega Design Arms and has had a option on all arms in the line, after having use of them on their Home System, they have not adopted one of these arms in place of their other Tonearm options, of which one is the design I use now.

In my simplistic world, I associate this with the Rega Design Effect.

@pindac Never written that Linn didn’t have an Ariston design, Linn started with Ariston turntables design; do you have a reliable source (magazine or other) to prove that the RB 300 was already produced in 1983?