Why does pulling out main speakers from wall improve sound?

Ask my dealer this question and he was stumped. He said it's a good idea but couldn't say why. I see speakers pulled out eight or more feet from the wall in very nice systems.

The drivers are facing forward, and when there are no ports in the back of the speaker so why would it matter?

jumia

@danager :  My issue is the bass sounds so much better when I stand up. 

I had that experience before too.  What I found is that my speakers were too far from the front wall.  It took me a couple of days of effort positioning the speakers in 1/2" increments to finally get them dialed in.  That includes the distance from the side walls too.  The crazy thing is, once I got them dialed in, the bass was nearly uniform all around the room- not just in the listening chair.  A good CD for evaluating the bass is Stanley Clarke's East River Drive.  The first track has a double tap of the bass drum.  When I got everything right that drum sounded good, not muddied to almost inaudible- except when standing up.

+1 @tonywinga 

You are balancing boundary reinforcement (getting close to the walls), with SBIR (cancellation from front wall reflection), and room modes. @bigtwin , Focal appears to be attempting to at least balance some of that in their formula, but as you noted, it may result in unrealistic values for many listeners.

@sc2, it is a little more complicated than what you have indicated. The distance they gave you appears to be to be outside the 10msec critical early reflection time. That may add a low frequency bass suck out (~50Hz). For many, even with a dedicated listening room, that may be too far into the room.  That gets us back to the speakers being closer to the front wall, the front wall heavily treated for reflections, and using equalization to address boundary reinforcement. 

Thespeakerdude

Very interesting comments dude, I like the idea about putting a absorption panel immediately behind the main speaker even if you pull it out a bit.  Maybe this will reduce the muddiness because all those waves bouncing off the wall may be a bad thing.

I have a down firing speaker so the absorption panel would need to rest on the floor

Audiospyder,

I like the idea about walking from the wall and listening to your voice. A very effective tool to learn from. 

So have you ever had trouble coming up with something to say while sitting across from your date.

Great news! read up on the posts herein and you're all set.