room size question.

( wasnt sure what category to put this in ,so figured this one would get more views)

in watching some you tube videos, one from Jays audio lab, and another one from Paul ( ps audio ), they both mention how the speakers should be set up in the room and it seems they bring them out into the room quite a bit.    they say that when this happens, you have the soundstage and jay was mentioning that there are layers that one gets to hear when listening.

my question i guess is that can this same thing happen in a smaller room, say 12x12 or is one just limited to say center imaging due to room size ?

room is treated

this is the ps audio video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x63RORq8JMw

jays video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZOWcvbfNZw

bshaw

@ronrags @vair68robert 

i measured from the back wall to the back of the speaker.     should i measure it from the center of the speaker or the front of the speaker to back wall ?

for the measurement for the side, i am doing from wall to just to the side of the speaker that would face the side wall.     should i measure to the center of the speaker instead ?

i have not tried the acoustical panels in the side walls and diffusors on the back wall.          the diffusors that i have, they cant be hung on the wall.

you can try toe-in, moving the speakers like New Record Day suggests, and a little play with the sweet spot. Worst case scenario is your speakers need more space, it’s the first time I hear about the brand (and I am just 15 miles from them). Probably great speakers.

I would unplug the subs first, and experiment with the monitors only. Seems like a lot of speakers for a small room

I agree with grisly by unplugging the subs first. It doesn’t matter whether you measure from the front or back but how it sounds to you. I would try using a good acoustic recording with a single voice. Experiment by moving the speakers forward and then back to see what sounds best. For example, move them say 6” forward and decide what sounds better. Then try somewhere in between until it sounds right to you. Then do the same side to side to possibly form an equilateral triangle from your sitting position. Lastly experiment with toe-in. Start with large increments, then small. 

Remember to take your time and it may take a several tries. If you become frustrated, stop and try later or another day.

@ronrags 

the system sounds fine and i have moved these speakers front , back, side to side and where they are now is probably the best place for them.        

my question is that is it possible to get a huge soundstage from a small room like jay and paul mention in the videos?      i get center imaging, but really no soundstage . 

i may try a speaker move just a little more forward...but only have so much room.

to me it sounds like you are expecting some magic soundstage that the recording may or may not have. Do you have a reference, what you are comparing it to, what you are missing?