Has anyone heard Fink Team KIM speakers?

I auditioned a pair of Fink Team KIM mini-monitors a few weeks ago and I'm curious if anyone else has heard of them. 
128x128diamonddupree

In case anyone is interested, I have now owned a pair of KIM for several months, and am very happy with them. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

@whipsaw -

How sensitive to room placement are the Kims? I can only position the front plane of my speakers about three feet from the front wall at most, do you feel this would present any bass overload issues? One of the reviews cited some "tubbiness" in the bass, this is a concern given my above placement constraints.

Also, I see that you are driving them with a solid state amp. Any experience with moderate power tube designs? And do you find the image to be of sufficient height given their shortish stature?

Thanks!

Hi @weebeesdad 

It just so happens that I can offer some insight into your situation. I recently moved into a newly refurbished old house, and while the room in which I listen is decent sized, I have no choice but to place the KIMS along the long wall. This, in turn, means that I can only comfortably place them almost exactly three feet (front plane) from the rear wall.

At first, I did experience some bass bloat, but through trial and error, and a fair number of tweaks, I was able to improve the situation significantly. I was not able to eliminate it entirely, but am now at the stage where I am not aware of any issues with well-recorded music.

Perhaps I didn't update my system profile, but I am using a Circle Labs A200 integrated, which does utilize two tubes in the preamp stage. It drives the KIMS well, though I have not tried other amps, so it would be impossible for me to compare.

If you are able to sit far enough away from the speakers (3m+), the image height is fine. They are designed to disperse the sound upwards (tilted), and create a good-sized image. If one has a tighter window, it can be mitigated by reducing the tilt angle.

One of the interesting aspects of working to mitigate the bass issue was that I became very aware of the distinctions, in terms of bass, in various recordings. It's not simply a matter of genre, but how the bass was recorded and mixed. Good recordings present no problems now, and that includes a high percentage of the CDs that I own.

I could understand if you are reluctant to go with them under the circumstances, but I will say that I have no regrets. The bass is tight and clean with good recordings, and the small percentage that still sound bloated I can easily live without.

If you have any interest in the various steps that I took to mitigate the problem, I'll be happy to describe them.

Cheers!

Thanks for your reply, @whipsaw.

I sit a little over 10 feet (3M) away from the speakers and the speakers again about 3 feet (front plane) from the front wall. The room is not small, 16.5 feet wide, 31 feet long with 11 foot ceilings, but is laid out in an open floor plan, the first third as the living room thus the furniture induced speaker placement limitation. As aesthetics are important for both my wife and I the use of traditional room treatments are not an option, for better or for worse. I would be interested to hear how you have mitigated the bass bloat issue in your own listening space.

Thanks again for your insights.