Benchmark DAC 1 - first thoughts

By way of background, I have recently switched out a bunch of components in my system. Much of the change has been due to logistical, rather than performance related, reasons. I am awaiting the delivery of a QSonix server (they're still ripping my CDs) which I bought for the interface and the ability to centralize my music library for high quality listening and distributed listening (via Sonos) on a single hard drive. The sound of the Qsonix was very good at the dealer (Evolution AV in Agoura Hills, CA) but I certainly wasn't confident that it would represent improvement over my Cary 303/300.

Due to the QSonix cabling regimen, an outboard DAC would be required in my room. TAS also suggested the use of an outboard DAC and even QSonix Corp acknowledged that, while they liked their own internal DAC, many customers preferred outboard units. Since I had specific (and quirky) multiple output requirements, auditioning my final choices of DAC wasn't possible. I posted here for advice and ended up with the DAC 1, largely because it seemed like a "safe choice".

The DAC 1 replaced the Cary's internal DAC which, app 2 years ago replaced a Sony SCD 1. The Sony was the first CD player I really liked and it was in my system for 5ish years before I found the Cary. I really like the 303 and would not have considered replacing it. but for the logistics above. The Cary allows great flexibility (U/S or NOS, tube or SS). While I never found a single "default" setting I really appreciated the ability to "tailor" the sound for any given CD.

The DAC1 arrived yesterday -ahead of the QSonix- and I inserted it into the system temporarily using the Cary as a transport. I was more than a little surprised by the impact of the new DAC,

I was concerned that the DAC1 would be "dry" (solid state pro gear) and hopeful that it would provide powerful bass for the same reason. I cued the CD and.....
dramatic improvement in image depth, front to back. This hadn't even crossed my mind-but (pardon the pun) it leapt out at me instantly. My first track was Rachelle Ferrell's "Sista" with it's punchy bass/kickdrum and powerful vocal. The separation between Ferrell and her backing singers was striking in a way I hadn't heard before. Subsequent tracks continued to highlight this phenomenon. Very surprised, very happy.

Tonally, the change was less dramatic, but still evident. Bass and mid-bass seemed lower in absolute level, but a tad tighter and cleaner. Similarly, the presence region seemed a touch more recessed. The KT88s in my amp seemed a bit "tamer", less evident and more neutral through the DAC 1 than through any setting on the Cary's internal DAC.

This is a very quick first impression after a few hours of listening. The good news is that the DAC 1 is clearly a great sounding DAC. I'm pretty sure that I prefer it to the internal DAC in the Cary which, honestly, comes as a bit of a surprise. Tonally, I suspect that the DAC 1 will complement some systems more than others- in mine it feels a bit more neutral when KT88s are in the loop. That may not be true when other amps/output tubes are in use. I'll follow up when I know more.

Hope this is interesting/useful.

Marty
martykl
Hey guys, got the dac 1 two days ago and have listened to a variety of music now for several hours. My first impression is it's very nice and detailed, however, as several of you mentioned it does seem thin. Not tinny of harsh but sound stage seems thin. I'm going to continue to play with the unit. Low volume levels are disappointing but I get happier with volume. Unfortunately, given that I have a 2 month old low volume is necessary.
Upgrade the power cord and get a good pair of head phones. You'll be thrilled. Mine was thin as well, but I had an extra Shunyata Taipan Helix Vx lying around, so gave it a try. I'm not suggesting a $650 power cord for a $900 dac, but since I had the extra cord, it made sense.

No more thin soundstage.
I have been running DAC1 for over 2.5 years 24x7 now. (Yes, it is designed to be on all time not just turn on and listen kind of deal). Stock DAC1 is a bid thinner in mid. I send my DAC1 to Empirical Audio for Turbo and opamp mod to BB OPA627. The result is first class.. The mid and bass is a lot more weighty. High is even more airy and extended then before. The best part is after the mod, the holographic imaging factor increase dramatically. I feels air and space between each instruement inside the music. Comment from some of my audio friends who are analog guys "This is just like playing analog on the mid and high. Bass is much better than analog. The best part for DAC1 over analog is that there are a lots of pops and hiss from the album but DAC1 is clean and crisp". After listened to my system, they are thinking to move to digital with computer music now.. I use RWA SB3 as transport to drive my DAC1 with XLR output to my BAT VK31SE.
I bought my Benchmark Dac-1 before the Audio industry

caught wind of it, at its first distribution.

First I recall going through Transports like socks to

find the "match". Eventually a suprise player fit like

a glove. The venerable Sony SCD-XA7E.S. player is like

peanut butter and jelly. They sound like they are meant

to go together.

So I took the Sony SCD-XA7E.S. player and the Dac-1

and began cable hunting.

The power cord that did it for me was a Transparent Audio

Super Power cord.

Next, some Audio Alchemy Digital Data Stream B.N.C. to XLR,

with A.A.'s largest Power supply for the cables.

Better than any other Digital cables I tried.

Finally, P.S. Audio provides the Statement Balanced XLR's,

to the Balanced pre-amp.

The Synergy of each step in the signal path is fully

observed while "experiencing" the "metamorphosis" like

change that happens when You push that "PLAY!" button!

From out of the box New until now, my Dac-1 has aged

much like a "fine wine", it's sound now, is quite simply

far beyond the expectations I had for this sub. $850 DAC.

The a.c. is Pure, The Dac and the XA7E.S. player, both

plug into a P.S. Audio Duet Power box, which in turn is

plugged into a Power Wedge to wall. I tried every

configuration of 1 or the other and in the end... The Best

Sound was achieved when I used both. More weight in mid.,

and low frequency big time.

Is it the best Dac? No! But in the "odd" configuration

that I currently enjoy...I "HEAR" what the Artist Plays,

every fine detail is clearly heard or felt with uncanny

accuracy.

Nothing more,nothing less. I know APL 3.0, or Spectral or

D.C.S. are "considered" awesome; So if I want to spend

$17k or more, it will sound better. How much? Jury is still

out...

Me? My mind Has been made up! I "Enjoy What I Have!"

It's funny because every C.D. I hear, I still can't get

over how inexpensive I got this precious Synergy of

pieces each making the next sound better.

I never dreamed of truly enjoying music, at "this" level

Ever! In my Life! I could not be more overjoyed!

"The Briefcase Live in Koln in '94" Awesome C.D.

Peace to All!
Hi Tantra I will run the B.dac1 with sacd using a "3D Lab Sonata drive". The trick is to convert dsd to pcm 24/88.2

gianluca