Benchmark DAC 1 - first thoughts

By way of background, I have recently switched out a bunch of components in my system. Much of the change has been due to logistical, rather than performance related, reasons. I am awaiting the delivery of a QSonix server (they're still ripping my CDs) which I bought for the interface and the ability to centralize my music library for high quality listening and distributed listening (via Sonos) on a single hard drive. The sound of the Qsonix was very good at the dealer (Evolution AV in Agoura Hills, CA) but I certainly wasn't confident that it would represent improvement over my Cary 303/300.

Due to the QSonix cabling regimen, an outboard DAC would be required in my room. TAS also suggested the use of an outboard DAC and even QSonix Corp acknowledged that, while they liked their own internal DAC, many customers preferred outboard units. Since I had specific (and quirky) multiple output requirements, auditioning my final choices of DAC wasn't possible. I posted here for advice and ended up with the DAC 1, largely because it seemed like a "safe choice".

The DAC 1 replaced the Cary's internal DAC which, app 2 years ago replaced a Sony SCD 1. The Sony was the first CD player I really liked and it was in my system for 5ish years before I found the Cary. I really like the 303 and would not have considered replacing it. but for the logistics above. The Cary allows great flexibility (U/S or NOS, tube or SS). While I never found a single "default" setting I really appreciated the ability to "tailor" the sound for any given CD.

The DAC1 arrived yesterday -ahead of the QSonix- and I inserted it into the system temporarily using the Cary as a transport. I was more than a little surprised by the impact of the new DAC,

I was concerned that the DAC1 would be "dry" (solid state pro gear) and hopeful that it would provide powerful bass for the same reason. I cued the CD and.....
dramatic improvement in image depth, front to back. This hadn't even crossed my mind-but (pardon the pun) it leapt out at me instantly. My first track was Rachelle Ferrell's "Sista" with it's punchy bass/kickdrum and powerful vocal. The separation between Ferrell and her backing singers was striking in a way I hadn't heard before. Subsequent tracks continued to highlight this phenomenon. Very surprised, very happy.

Tonally, the change was less dramatic, but still evident. Bass and mid-bass seemed lower in absolute level, but a tad tighter and cleaner. Similarly, the presence region seemed a touch more recessed. The KT88s in my amp seemed a bit "tamer", less evident and more neutral through the DAC 1 than through any setting on the Cary's internal DAC.

This is a very quick first impression after a few hours of listening. The good news is that the DAC 1 is clearly a great sounding DAC. I'm pretty sure that I prefer it to the internal DAC in the Cary which, honestly, comes as a bit of a surprise. Tonally, I suspect that the DAC 1 will complement some systems more than others- in mine it feels a bit more neutral when KT88s are in the loop. That may not be true when other amps/output tubes are in use. I'll follow up when I know more.

Hope this is interesting/useful.

Marty
martykl
That's a good assessment, Marty.

James, you may also want to consider the Lavry DA10 at about the same price as the Benchmark. Compared to the Benchmark, it is warmer, smoother and less analytical.
I'm going to try the benchmark dac1. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the input.