After fifty years… amazing. What high end audio can be.

I am just enjoying my system. I am in awe of what an audio system can be. I have been listening to Bill Evans in the 60’s and 70’s on my system (see my userId). Having relentlessly pursued the high end for fifty years, alway stretching to achieve the next level. It is so rewarding to have a system that completely surprises and delights me each time I listen to it. What a treat…personally, really well worth the thousands of hours and dollars to achieve it. At 70, glad I did it.

ghdprentice

@ghdprentice , once you reach this point it is more about acquiring content than components because changes might actually degrade the enjoyment you have right now, congrats!

Congratulations on your happy landing after what was no doubt, a long and interesting journey. That you achieved all of this, despite the handicap of using round copper is truly amazing.

Ghdprentice, you’re one of my favorite contributors on site too. You consistently provide well thought out and practical advice. Glad to hear how much satisfaction you derive from your current system, which you’ve obviously taken great pains to put together.

As a fellow 70 year old, my only concern is that youngsters like Baylinor and Henry58 feel entitled to chime in here at their tender age. Grow up you two. And Happy New Year to you and everyone else here, youngsters included.

Mike

Yes, I can relate as well. I have been pursuing hi-fi for over 50 years. I built my first stereo speakers (Bozak) in 7th grade woodshop.  My woodshop teacher didn't understand why I needed two speakers!  I saved all my money from cutting lawns to buy a Fisher 202 Receiver and thought I was in heaven.  I convinced my father to take me downtown (Cleveland, OH) to Audio Craft were they holding a McIntosh Amplifier Clinic.  We waiting for over 2 hours whist some of the most beautiful equipment I had ever seen was placed on the test bench.  I listened to same gear in the showroom and I was smitten. When it was my turn on the bench, the harmonic distortion graph for my lowly Fisher looked like a hockey stick.  The technician grinned suggested I upgrade to a McIntosh.  Little did I know at the time, he was the infamous Dave O'Brien of McIntosh Labs. 

Fast forward to the present, my father passed away two years and I cherish our time together and sacrifices he made to nourish my hobbies. So for the past two years I have been researching, networking, searching and building my McIntosh system and 50 years later - it is bliss. (I know that this forum is not necessarily fond of MC, but this is my story and I am sticking to it).

quite by accident I stumbled on one of the best possible acoustical spaces… well, actually that my dealer has ever heard (he installs many +$200 K systems), so has more experience than I. Just luck.

it is easy to get off on the wrong foot and head down a dead end. You can see them all over this site, denying the sound quality of great designs, high quality components, high end wires, or thinking that measurements are everything.

Those who are not quite so fortunate as your good self often do some quite substantial research and not rely on luck.

I think that there is a non sequitur somewhere in that sermon.  As a scientist, you'd know that.