TEAC UD-701 vs NT-505 vs ?

I stream Quboz and Tidal via a Bluesound Vault 2. Vault transmits to Parasound JC2 to modded A21 to Vandersteen Quatro CTs. (See my profile for complete description of system.) Happy, really very happy, with Vault 2 but it is likely best point at which to upgrade my system.

Considering TEAC NT-505 ($2K) and new TEAC DAC/streamer UD-701 ($4K), which has some very attractive features: in-house-built discrete Delta-Sigma DAC with FPGA circuity, dual-mono signal path, four separate power supplies... Have seen enthusiastic reviews for NT-505 from owners here. Only one review by Moon Audio out about UD-701, and they are not an uninterested party. Curious if any out there have heard UD-701?

Open to other suggestions, including used with roughly $6K price ceiling. See TMR has used Aurender A-10s for sale. Used PS Audio Direct Wave DAC with bridge is another consideration, although I have seen owners comment negatively about the bridge.

Not wed to DAC/streamer combo but that has appeal to me because it eliminates a box, connecter, and power cord, all of which add to cost and connector makes signal path less direct.

Also not wed to SS but a tube DAC appears to me to introduce an additional source of distortion into my otherwise SS system, so it will then be affected by both SS and tube distortion.

Thoughts?

Bosssound

128x128bosssound

@arize84 Good to know I am not a party of one on Bartok front.

@bhvf  Curious to hear further thoughts on the UD-701 DAC now that you have had the unit in your system for a while.

I wanted to update this thread to say I sent the UD-701 back.  In my system I like the NT-505 better. The 701 had a more "open" sound but just wasn't as enjoyable for long listening as the 505.  It wasn't what I would call bright, but all these terms are subjective.  Clear, bright, open, analytical, etc. could all mean the same thing depending on if someone had positive or negative feelings about it.

To jbuhl:

I would call this: an introduction of sorts. The seller, by definition, can not provide an objective review. Very seldom do so-called "independent reviewers." He wants to sell this product and discusses the BR-20 accordingly.

I brought home the UD-701N 2 weeks ago as a Demo unit and have been running it in pretty much constantly. From the first listen I knew I was going to like it! My current DAC is a Pontus II. I had the RS150B in my setup for an evaluation a few months back and it was good! Excellent detail retrieval, non-fatiguing, good imaging. My issue with it was the soundstage depth which was not great imo, especially compared to the Denafrips! Back it went. The 701n is everything the Rose was in terms of detail, but with more of that R2R sound that I have become accustomed to, and with an equally deep (behind the speakers) soundstage (maybe deeper than the Pontus!) and all-day listenability. I get none of the fatiguing sound that someone mentioned, and quite to the contrary. The sound has that magic in between of being smooth as glass while not forgoing detail. I agree that the Bartok is WAY too laidback for my tastes (boring unless your speakers and the rest of your gear is bright as hell!). I have also heard the Esoteric N-05XD and this DAC/Pre is about 90% of it for 65% less money. My Amp is a recapped and upgraded Threshold 400A class A, and I’m pissing the wife off because I can’t stop listening! At some point I have to shave and leave the house….

Rich post. Particularly appreciate the comparisons to other DACS. Tickled to hear how much you are enjoying new unit.