How to get DSD working in a networked (Roon) setup?

Dear,

I recently received a few DSD albums and would love to play these.

In the manual of the T+A MP 3100 HV, I read
"The MP 3100 HV can be used as a high-quality D/A converter for other devices such as computers, streamer, digital  radios etc. which are fitted with poor-quality converters or no converter at all. The MP 3100 HV features two optical and two electrical S/P-DIF digital inputs on the back panel to allow this usage.

A USB-DAC input on the back panel permits to use the MP 3100 HV as D/A
converter for computers.

At the USB DAC IN input the MP 3100 HV accepts digital PCM-encoded stereo
signals with sampling rates of 44.1 to 384 kHz (32-bit) and DSD data with
sampling rates of DSD64, DSD128, DSD256* and DSD512*."

To use the T+A MP 3100 HV to play DSD files, I have to connect it to a PC using a USB cable? Is my understanding correct?

I have all my music on a NAS in the basement. I use Roon to play (flac) files on my stereo. Is there no other way to get DSD to play?

Ideally, I would prefer to add a device in my network to play DSD. 

This "USB DAC" truly puzzles me. 

Thank you for your advice.

128x128koenvingerhoets

If you’re using foobar2000, check on the following setting. Go to Preferences -> Tools -> SACD. Under ’Type’ does it show ’DSD’? If not, click on the ’Type’ dropdown and change it.

You can also follow these instructions to output native DSD instead of DoP if the DAC supports that.

Just noticed that in my foobar2000 setup in the Tools -> SACD section, there's a checkbox labeled 'DoP for Converter'. You might also want to try unchecking that to see if you get native DSD output without having to install DSD Transcoder.

Thanks @yage - I'm like 80% convinced I've changed that 10 times to DSD but that it jumps back. I'll pay more attention to it. The "DoP for Converter" is unchecked.

@koenvingerhoets 

In Roon, right clikc on the device, then Device Settings, and look at DSD playback strategy.  Set it to Native and see if it works. :)

I just tried unchecking the 'DoP for Converter" option and it doesn't seem to do anything. I've got a DAC that only accepts DoP and with that unchecked it still showed DSD64 output.

Maybe with foobar, the T+A detects the PCM container. If the sampling rate shows 176.4 (DSD64) or 352.8 (DSD128) then it's most likely DoP. Perhaps you should try the DSD Transcoder foobar component and send native DSD through ASIO.

A random thought - if you're trying to play DSD256 with DoP (705.6 kHz PCM container), your DAC may not be able to handle it, which could be the reason you see Roon indicating downsampling.

Anyway, maybe it's best to contact T+A as well and ask how they would setup DSD256 / DSD512 playback with a Windows PC and Roon.