Aric Audio Custom 300b PSET

Hey guys. I just wanted to share my initial impressions regarding Aric Audio Custom 300b PSET I just plugged in. Posting here because of the numerous discussions regarding Aric’s equipment I read that convinced me to take a chance on a small company’s, handmade amp. 
I’m coming from 25 years of solid state and very recently a Synthesis el34 50 watt push pull amp. The Synthesis sounds great and I didn’t buy the new amp because I was displeased in any way. I’d purchased it while waiting for some Decware gear, which after 7 months couldn’t do anymore. I wanted a handmade, point to point amp, so I researched around and came across Aric Audio here. Gave him a call, discussed what I was looking for and Aric gave his recommendations. I was a bit nervous when he suggested the 300b. I’d never heard them before and those tubes are pricey! Many good reviews later, I decided, F*ck it! I’m in. Placed the order and added some upgrades. 
After 4 or 5 weeks, got the call and picked up the amp. It sat for a day and I plugged it in today. I stream through a Cambridge cxn v2 and Topping d90le dac. Speakers are Audio Note-e/lx, AN Lexus speaker wire, Black Dragon interconnect and xlr’s. 
Listening was really surprising. I’m amazed how different the sound is from the Synthesis with el34’s. The sound is much more powerful. You feel it more. The vocals are a bit more forward. Staging is far better. Probably the weirdest is the blackness. Just so quite and yet I hear so much more. Texture to instruments, if that’s a proper way to explain it. I’m new to this world so proper words escape me. Fullness, sharp instrument strikes and naturalness come to mind. The clarity of the music is striking. I almost feel like I’m hearing things I shouldn’t in the music, like feet tapping and inhalations for example. Very cool. 😀

I look forward to hearing how the amp improves. I do hope the cymbals settle just a bit. They don’t glare and aren’t bright, just very clear and more prominent compared to previous amp/tubes. I’m sure my brain and ears need an adjustment period as well. Each equipment change I do freaks me out! I look forward to sharing developments and hope to hear your comments. 

earthbound

Thanks Charles. You were one of my Emission Lab references from prior posts! It’s reassuring to have experienced 300ber’s sharing their experiences. These tubes, due to price, are not as easy to tube roll. I’d prefer to get it right the first time. The 5 year warranty is certainly a huge benefit and attractive option. 

@earthbound 

The only downside with commitment to the 300b is its cost when compared with most other power tube alternatives. You’ll definitely pay for the premium tier options. As far as I am concerned, they are worth it. As you have discovered, a high-quality 300b SET is just fantastic for music reproduction.

I have consistently advised that if you have a very good quality SET amplifier, buy the best tubes you can afford. They are just worth it. You  want to hear your amplifier perform at its best. The good thing is, the higher quality tubes tend to have long life spans. EML and vintage W. E. 300b are the poster child for this.

Charles

Unfortunately I have no first hand comparison of 300b but I think the Western Electric 300b was worth the money.  They sound phenomenal in my amp.   I bought a spare pair because I wanted to be sure I had a new pair on hand down the road

Word of mouth feedback from owners of the current Western Electric 300b has been positive, 

Chatles

@charles1dad +1 I have three customers that can attest to that as well. One of them became a dealer after buying his first pair. He firmly believes in the sonics and quality of the WEs.