New Western Electric 91E 300B Tube Integrated Amp REVIEW !

rick2000

John Atkinson nails it! 1.8 wpc/8ohms@1% THD. 10wpc/8ohms@10% THD. Output impedance averaging 3ohms. For $15K you get a broken amp that will require a new pair of WE 300B tubes ($2400) sometime in the future. A waste of money!

Ken Micallef gives a positive review in his Stereophile article. I’m not a fan of the design aesthetics Western Electric used, but those 300B tubes look fantastic.

The Upscale Audio Youtube channel also has a review. 

SET 300B amps all measure dreadfully. But I must say that I was hoping for more from the WE amplifier.

However, I applaud the company's plan to expand the range of valves (as we say over here) that they plan to produce.

Besides the high distortion and low power and lousy frequency response into reactive loads(speakers) SET amps are inherently non-linear due to single ended topology. They compress the negative portion of a wave form relative to the positive side. And this can't be cured. It's due to single ended topology. Then again it's what produces the high second harmonics in an SET that many people love.