Do Costly XLR Cables Make A Difference?

Serious question here. I currently own a rather good XLR cable that goes between the amp and DAC. I’m considering a better XLR cable to improve things, basically all the good aspects of sound reproduction such as deeper and more defined bass, better separation and detail across the frequency spectrum and an airier and more 3-dimensional sound in the midrange and treble. Will a different XLR cable supposedly one that’s costlier bring me to that direction?

My current XLR cable costs about $2k actual price paid.

I’m looking at an alternative pair up to about $2k perhaps $3k tops if it is proven that the cable is able to bring a noticeable or worthwhile if not significant difference. I am actually looking at the Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 and Gold Eclipse 8 XLR.

Any experience would be appreciated. 

ryder

If I was looking to spend $2,000 on balanced cables, I’d start with Iconoclast 4x4 cable in the material of your choice. I like that the designed by someone that not only demonstrates that he understands the science behind cables, but also recognizes that there’s more to cables than the measurements. His designs are very weld thought out, but they are also offered in multiple conductor materials. You also get 30 days to send them back for any reason.

I might be able to talk myself into the budget BAV variety at some point. Unfortunately, the rest of well above anything I’d consider to be a reasonable purchase.

At a minimum, read the iconoclast design brief.  https://iconoclastcable.com/xlr/index.htm

You already own "costly XLR cables."

Try and obtain loaners of the cables you want to purchase through a dealer, friend, or The Cable Company, and then listen to them and compare directly with your current cables in your own system. If you really want to verify the value, have a friend randomly change the cables between your current cables and the new cables and then try to choose which you are listening to, or which you like better, without knowing/seeing which cable is in-place. Do that at least 10 times and if you cannot pick the same favorite at least 7 times out of 10, then don’t waste your money.

Hi,

IMHO, Silverfi cables are exemplary for all the criteria you mentioned. They are hand made by Sezai Saktanber in Turkey. There is a review of my exhaustive search for the type of cable you describe on the Silverfi website. They are so good, I upgraded to Reference Black XLR. Absolutely no regrets! Very highly recommended!

Regards,

Phil

I can only answer your question based on my own personal experience in a similar situation using Cardas.  Upgraded from Clear to Clear Beyond from my source to my preamp.  Forgetting the $$$ for a moment, very similar to what you are asking,  yes there was a very definite improvement for me.  As others have said already, so much is dependent upon the components you are connecting.  In my case it was noticable in two different systems, one using Pass and the other using Atma-sphere.  With A-S as others have commented and as Ralph at A-S says between the preamp and amp a better cable did not make an improvement for me.  But between the source and pre it did.  With Pass improvements were obvious everywhere.  My conclusions as so often said IT DEPENDS.

if you want the very best cable use rectangular OCC wire check out the Neotech Amazon and Sahara the Amazon is their rectangular OCC silver single crystal wire and the Sahara is a rectangular OCC copper wire both are some of the best on the market and just for your information Neotech makes OCC wire for most of the big manufacturers that charge an arm and a leg more than they do. OCC single crystal wire has been proven to be the best wire for audio for over 50 years now far superior to anything OFC on the market.