A question about headphones

I've decided I would like to give the headphone experience a try because I am an early morning person and I would like my wife to enjoy her sleep.  She is definitely not an early bird.

I have a McIntosh C48 preamp and it has a headphone jack on front.  I have plugged my BT transmitter into this and paired with my Bose noise -cancelling headphones but can't say its anything to write home about.  Do I need a headphone amplifier and where do I connect the amplifier to my rig?

I like headphones that fully encapsulate my ear.  I can't see that open-back headphones appeal to me.  I am about 20' away from my rig and although I would consider a cable, what's the consensus on BT headphones or a combo BT / cabled?

I live in Canada and I was thinking to make a start, I would not want to sink more that $500 into headphones until I am convinced this is the route to go.  I still don't know about the headphone amp and its cost - if I need it.

I don't post much here but I follow this forum daily ad appreciate all opinions and feedback.  Thanks in advance everyone.

128x128r042wal

@r042wal I’ve read that McIntosh configures their headphone output differently and that taps into their amp section.  I’m not really a Mac amp fan, but I don’t know why more amp manufacturers don’t take advantage of their amp sections for headphones in this way.  ???  Then, I don’t know what I don’t know.  

@soix don't forget Donald Rumsfeld:

“There are known knowns — there are things we know we know.  We also know there are known unknowns — that is to say, we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don’t know we don’t know.” 🤣

@r042wal   Congratulations. Great to hear you "couldn't be happier.' 

I purchased a 'new to me' Shitt LYR 2 headphone amp and a pair of Hifiman HE-R9 cans.  To sum it up, I couldn't be happier for a first time setup

Heh heh. Damn those pesky unknown unknowns. I prefer to think of it as ignorance is bliss. Much easier that way.  Of course in this day and age you could always just make up your own alternative facts to explain/rationalize anything and just keep repeating them until they become known knowns.  Ugh. 

OP, thanks on your comment or direct headphone output. I was just keeping an informal tally.