New AES3/USB interface?

Hey all, I’m looking for a new way to interface my PMC TwoTwo 5 system with my MacStudio. I’ve currently got a Mutec MC-3 +USB unit connecting via AES3 (digital) but I’m having an issue where my PMC units will reset every so often during audio playback. I’ve had both PMC monitors and the sub replaced and I’ve since upgraded from an iMac Pro to the MacStudio — and still seeing this odd behavior. The only thing I can think to try is a different way to interface the PMC system with my computer.

My PMC studio monitors are active with on board DACs

Does anyone know of anything else out there that delivers the same (or better) options as the Mutec? At a minimum, it needs to have AES3, USB and DSD support.

Any help is appreciated 

hedkase

Inexpensive usb isolators.  Macs would introduce high AC noise and ground loops.

$50 but not every DAC likes them.

@designsfx

After looking at the Mac specific instructions, I noticed this. Looks like everything displayed on the front is normal and expected.

I may try a hi-end USB cable and see if that changes anything. Will also most likely get that Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 and compare results.

"Hardware Setup

• Power up the MC-3+USB via the switch on the rear of the device.
  • The MC-3+USB has several modes of operation, but for audio re-clocking you need to set it to »INTERN« & »RE-CLK«.
  • Press the MENU button once (LEDs flash) and use the SELECT button to cycle through the MODE menu until the top (INTERN) and bottom (RE-CLK) LEDs in the MODE column both light up.
  • As a result the top three LEDs in the REFERENCE menu should light up at once as the default setting and indicate that the USB input has been selected as audio input."

I might have a different reference than you- I pulled the manual off their web site a couple of weeks ago. The setup notes in the copy I have state the following:

»INTERN« & »RE-CLK« (Internally referenced Audio re-clocking)
The »INTERN« and »RE-CLK« LEDs will light up when »RE-CLK« mode is selected, indicating that the re-clocking mode based on the internal clock oscillator is now active. As a factory default, »USB-PCM« and »USB-DSD/DoP« are selected as the first available audio reference in the »REFERENCE« menu (the first three LEDs in the column are illuminated). Press the menu key once and you’re entering the »REFERENCE« menu. Toggle the »SELECT« key to select one of the four available audio referen- ces: USB (PCM & DSD/DoP), AES3/11, S/P-DIF op, S/P-DIF bnc. This will now be re-clocked with the internal ultra-low jitter clock signal, format-converted, and passed on to all audio outputs with the same sampling rate simultaneously.

Anyway- sorry I couldn’t help you out more on this but I am interested in these units as I’m thinking about testing it to distribute signals from my playback server to multiple DAC’s. Hoping it would be the right piece for the application.

@designsfx 

No, worries. I appreciate the attempt!

BTW -- Mine was taken from the Quick Start Guide I downloaded from their website today. Might want to check that one out and compare.

@hedkase 

Just wondering if you were ever able to get this sorted out and what was giving you the problem?