Pleasurably better, not measurably better

I have created a new phrase: pleasurably better.

I am giving it to the world. Too many technophiles are concerned with measurably better, but rarely talk about what sounds better. What gives us more pleasure. The two may lie at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I use and respect measurements all the time, but I will never let any one of them dictate to me what I actually like listening to.

erik_squires

I am on track with your thinking and have often felt the same way. Getting the sound accurately reproduced is really just the beginning. What I have recently experienced is a build that has a lot more bass detail and yet at the same time is bass heavy. But as it turns out, I enjoy this for listening. In fact, I get to hear what else is in the music. It was written, it was played and recorded, but not heard after that. Now, I hear those bass details and marvel at what was missing.

Since my hearing has changed in the treble area, I really miss the 'air' of the music. I got a lot out of the venue where the music was recorded, but these days, I have to aim my interest elsewhere. 

Midrange will always be important. Again, I like detail but short of harsh, that's for sure. And I want the lower mids to have presence but not at a level of distraction.

So it becomes the end game, pleasing ourselves with music, not graphs.

Pleasurably better...I like it. I listen to music to relax. When I do comparisons of equipment I base my final decisions on how I feel when listening to it.  I consider myself a scientifically and mathematically oriented person but would never want a good measuring (according to what people say is good measuring with what we have available today) piece of equipment to take away the joy I get from listening to something I enjoy. That probably goes to you and @curiousjim's posts above about garage systems and old receivers. If that's what brings them joy, so be it. They probably spend money on something I will never understand why someone would spend money on also.

bhvf,

Only recently, I showed a tool to a couple of people who had no real interest or even understanding of it. Their reaction was one of 'why would you spend that kind of money on something so basic?' Same reason I don't understand you buying many multiple pairs of shoes. 

Audio and how each person enjoys it varies, but as long as the enjoyment is there, what's to criticize.

Good post.

This is probably a good way to look at it. Described as the accelerating return only creates controversy. I have been thinking about this as of late.

Looking at my enjoyment, it increases with greater sound quality… a lot. So, for instance I will not listen to a $10 radio… I will listen to a $2K system… but not realy enjoy it, but I start getting into it say, at $10K (I am using $ as a proxy for sound quality… let’s not get side tracked). My enjoyment increases with greater sound quality, faster than cost. Hence, my lifelong commitment to better system… the better… by far giving me greater and greater enjoyment.

I tried an elemental plot (overly simplified for folks that don’t look at charts daily.

the point is, for audiophiles, pleasure increases rapidly and continues to increase faster than cost.