Luxman Knockoffs or Counterfeits?

Living in the US, it has been very difficult finding a Luxman on the used market. I see lots of models on ebay selling from Japan. The listings look suspicious to me - different sellers with the exact same photo of the product; sometimes the same photo with one seller naming a different model number than another seller, but using the same photo.    

I found one Japanese ebay seller who seems to be legit, Monotokyo, based on seller reviews, but I am hesitant to rely on ebay seller reviews.  

Does anyone have information about Luxman knockoffs or counterfeits? 

audiojerry

I've bought a lot of camera equipment from Japanese eBay sellers and never had a problem, so if the audio gear I wanted was available from there, I'd probably do it, although the step-down transformer is a separate issue (but the t-former will clean up your electrics)

@audiojerry 

I've noticed the eBay listings from different sellers with the same items and pictures with different prices.

My suspicion has always been that these are used items for sale in a Japanese shop and the various sellers are trying to market them to overseas customers.

I've noticed it with instruments, audio gear, etc.

So it's worth considering you're probably not dealing with a retailer or even the original owner familiar with the condition of the product and there's little recourse if something goes wrong. The post a bit further up really points out the pitfalls of buying a used amp from overseas. I also think it's a big risk. I would rather wait for the gear to show up domestically.

FYI: I purchased an L-590AX II from a very fine gentleman who has participated in this forum.

Thanks to all for you helpful insights and advice.

I have a Luxman 509u integrated 100v and have been using for years without issue. Save the money and buy 100v. Some units can be converted by changing a few jumpers and adding a 120v sticker.  There is a guy in Wisconsin that tried to help me over the phone but he ended up needing to physically see it.  Wasn't worth me shipping and he agreed. Sorry I don't have his contact info. 

I am looking for an Esoteric piece that is $7k new from Japan (100v) and $11k from a US dealer.. When I pull the trigger, I am sure I will need another voltage converter.

For anyone reading this, I acquired a made-for-US Luxman L-590AXii from a fellow agon member last November, and am totally happy with it's versatility, performance, power and sound. Bass punch is superb. I highly recommend it.