One turntable with two arms, or two turntables with one each - which would you prefer?

Which would you prefer, if budget allowed: one turntable with two tonearms or two turntables with one each? What would your decision criteria be?

And the corollary: one phono preamp with multiple inputs or two phono preamps?

Assume a fixed budget, but for the purposes of this question, the budget is up to the responder. Admittedly for this type of setup, there will be a sizeable investment once all components of the chain are factored in.

I'm curious to hear how people would decide for themselves the answer to this question. Or maybe you've already made this decision - what do you like about your decision or what would you differently next time?

Cheers.

dullgrin

"I'm curious to hear how people would decide for themselves the answer to this question. Or maybe you've already made this decision - what do you like about your decision or what would you differently next time? "

Cheers.

" Besides we're off track on the OPs 

original question... "

There are those who not only like to have an option on how many Tonearms are mounted to work with one Turntable, but this can also be achieved through a design that is not offered by a TT's Manufacturer. It is achieved through an individual deciding on a Material to support the Turntable and Tonearm/Tonearms.

Hence P'holz has come into the discussion, as there has been earlier discussion on Bespoke Plinths being produced, to support the usage of Multiple Arms.   

One turntable with two arms, or two turntables with one each - which would you prefer?"

I said "original" question...thats it above.

Evolved or not the thread topic is multiple arms

or not for personal preference.

Now with the brilliant deduction that borinized

steel is harder than wood I suppose your back

on track...

I have 3 turntables mounted in slate plinths, using Pennsylvania black slate. (I assume not all slate from all sources is created equal.)  The quarry in PA that sold me the slabs also was able to hone both sides of each slab perfectly flat and champfer the edges. Then in York, PA, I found a waterjet company that "learned" to cut my 3 slate slabs so to fit respectively, my Denon DP80 (50mm thick), my Lenco with PTP top plate (50mm thick), and my SP10 Mk3 (75mm thick).  In the case of the Mk3, the slate alone weighs about 75lbs, after cutting out the hole for the chassis.  I had a subplinth made out of solid cherrywood, for the Mk3 only, and bolted that to the bottom side of the slate slab.  I tell myself I can hear a tick better performance due to combining slate with cherrywood. This all sounds very good to me, but once having made the effort, I would not do it again.  Nor do I fret about whether or not Panzerholz or some other material might sound better.  Suffice to say I think all these materials are excellent choices.  Slate is just the road I went down.  I also agree, granite not a good choice; I don't really know what it is about the internal structure of granite that makes it less suitable than these other materials.

maybe @dullgrin would like to make a further follow up contribution to confirm if the information offered since his last contribution, is satisfactory to help with the initial inquiry made.  

" Nor do I fret about whether or not Panzerholz or some other material might sound better. "

The journey for myself through HiFi Encounters and building a HiFi System, is based on growing in experiences through being demonstrated different options that can be incorporated into an owned system.

I don't see myself as a lone entity in this understanding of a Journey with HiFi as the interest.

There is for me, a pursuit of knowledge, especially about how one is stimulated by the use of certain components or an assembly of certain components.

As one's experiences grow, they are quick to identify where a stimulus is present that is an attractor or a repellent.

As one's experiences grow, the likelihood is that there is a much more selective mind set in place, and a willingness to change prevails, the stimulus encountered can prove to be very persuasive. To the point an outright rejection of an idea or immersion into an idea takes precedent.  

I am not one who is to Stagnate and be found Resting on One's Laurels, and especially not one who will Show Contempt Prior to Investigation.

There are tremendous discoveries to be made, when a mind is open to what others are doing, where differences are obvious to one's own choices.

It is with the open approach and willingness to learn that new discoveries have been very persuasive, bringing change, hence I was introduced to Plinths produced that were very different to my 'one time favoured' Mass Material Plinth Design. With the result being the Mass Material Design are no longer favoured and wanted to be used as the regular method.