Used gear prices and the state of the hobby.

I am always on the look-out for quality used gear, especially CD/SACD players.

It seems that lately (especially), I am seeing a lot of used gear come up at (what I consider to be) ridiculous prices. I've gone through enough CD players that I sort of know what they can be had for.

I am fully aware that the market will drive pricing, but some of these prices are insane.

Asking 75% of MSRP for a player that's more than 10 years old isn't going to happen, at least in my world.

I see the same ads come up, over and over, which tells me that these things aren't selling. In some cases, the asking prices are absolutely ridiculous.

Maybe the dealers/whomever are underwater on their product, but in case anyone hasn't noticed, the economy is starting to dive.

I'm not ranting, just stating that perhaps your stuff isn't selling because you're overpriced (in some cases by several hundreds to thousands of dollars!).

Other no-no's as far as I'm concerned:

No remote. Buy one THEN put the unit up for sale. In most cases, I will not consider a piece of equipment without an original (and in good condition) remote control.

"Rare". Sure it is. If it's so rare, well, that makes me wonder WHY it's so rare, now doesn't it?

"Giant Killer". Un-huh. Sure.

"Mostly Working". Well, get it repaired, and make it "totally working". THEN offer it for sale.

I view used gear like cars. When you drive it off the lot, well, you just lost 10% of the value. And it's all downhill from there.

I just wonder if anyone else had noticed this, or if I am just turning into an old man yelling at clouds?

If it's not a buyer's market at the moment, it will be shortly.

128x128coralkong

A growing economy with full employment where inflation is reducing peoples’ real income level is not the same thing as an economic collapse. Restaurant prices are going up like gasoline but people are eating out in droves. What you really ought to look at is not what people asking for gear but what they’re paying for it. If people aren’t getting the prices they think they’re going to get they have the option of leaving it in the closet. Recent sold listings for the Oppo 205 on eBay seem to range from $2500 to $3500, which is not surprising for something that’s perceived by its cult as a classic. If I were selling a piece of used gear I’d check what the item is going for and price mine a little bit lower. What gets me are these booksellers who act like a book becomes a priceless collector’s item the minute it goes out of print. My personal policy on auctions has always been to decide how much you are willing to pay for something and bid that.

50% off msrp is a fair starting point for a one year old piece of gear.

Wait until the buyer throws the low ball on you to think about what you have said ...  

Greetings all. Haven’t commented in awhile. Busy with remodel of house and new other new toys. I too have noticed a significant rise in prices of goods listed here. My thoughts are that listers are trying to get the most out of whatever they have for sale. Basic economics. However, if you jack up the price it probably won’t sell. I know I won’t buy. I love the comparison with used cars and watches. As a collector of both , I have noted a tremendous rise in the prices of both. Two examples I saw recently are $15,000 for a rusted out, rattle can painted, no interior 1970 vw bug. Second a 5 year old Rolex gmt with no box or papers for $20,000( probably stolen).  I won’t be buying them and I don’t think any reasonable person will. It’s just what the lister thinks they are worth. 
  As always , if you wish to sell. Do so at a selling price not what it costs you when you bought it. I’m always looking for something that interests me at a good value. I will buy if the price is right. So in my opinion, you are not an old man ranting. Just a smart consumer. 

@twodogs112 Do so at a selling price not what it costs you when you bought it.

Despite much pseudo-economics and handwaving and yelling at clouds on this thread, yes, that is a gem.

In economics what you paid for something is called a sunk cost. Those interested may spend a few minutes understanding the concept as Wiki outlines in its usual confusing manner.