The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
Hey Plasmatronic. I clearly remember the time Dr. Alan Hill came to Barclay Recordng back in 1979 to set them up. Absolutely the most bizzare product in audio history. But the sound...ah that was memorable, it will stay with me 4-ever. Too bad lighting a cigarette near them could make them explode. And those storage tanks........
To Frap. While it was a long time ago,I recall the gas as helium (not flammable). Those speakers were only time my wife (who shares a passion for fine sound)made an interior decorating comment and asked if the tanks came in colors.
Pls1. I stand corrected, but those tanks sure were ominous looking in your living room. I remember Mike Wright also used to put gas bags inside of the Watson Labs loudspeakers, about the same era.
wilson audio wamm7 if you really want to hear the very best.all the others you mentioned above is like to compare the austin martin againts bmw.
I agree with Adsal.
In the mid 1980's I had a chance to hear the original WAMM's at a demo given by David Wilson.
While I have not heard any subsequent versions of them, I have yet to hear anything better.
Unfortunately, these are not exactly commercially available speakers.
The performance gap between them and something like an Avalon, Dunleavy, Sound Lab (all of which I have heard) is huge.
When Wilson put on a record of a string quartet, I thought I was listening to a "rigged demo" in that there were a bunch of musicians hiding behing those towers actually playing. No other hifi system has ever come close to fooling me like that.