Best 12AU7 Type Tubes for a Preamp

I am hoping for some help finding good quality and good sounding 12AU7 variant tubes for a preamp – I need two tubes. A price of around $100 each or less would be great but I would pay a bit more (150 ea.) for something that is likely to sound better. The unit came with JAN PHILIPS ECC82 (12AU7/5963) and I also own a pair of reissue/new Mullard ECC92 tubes. Both sets are quiet but I am wondering if there is something even better sounding at a moderate price.

Readily available NOS options I have seen include:

• NOS RCA Blackplate or Clear Top at about $100-150 EA.
  • Amprex 7316/ECC186 at around $150 each, and
  • Mullard CV4003/12AU7 $150ea.

New options I have found (in addition to Mullard) include (among others):

• Genalex - Gold Lion B749 / ECC82/12AU7, $70 ea.
  • Psvane 12AU7-S Art Series ECC82, $55 ea.

Thanks for any help.

mitch2

@lowrider57 - You are correct about Andy's availability.  I went to contact him this morning and found this message on his website:

Notice: Due to extreme demand, I am only answering the phone on Fridays and I am running about 2-3 months behind on filling orders.

I tried calling anyway and received a busy signal.  Even if I were able to speak with him, I am not patient enough to wait 2-3 months for delivery of two tubes.  However, I did also find the following message on Andy's website so at least there will be a future solution for people who want a faster turn-around.

Online ordering of select tubes is coming soon and those orders will be shipped within 2 days.

In the meantime, I will try contacting Brent Jessee or will look around at some other vendors. 

Interestingly, I was looking in the drawer where I used to keep tubes and found four matched, measured, and unused NOS Amperex JAN 7308 tubes that I no longer have any use for.  I cannot remember the preamp I had planned to use them in so I was surprised to find I still have them.  Some surprises are better than others!

There is an ebay seller with over 1,500 sales at 100% positive feedback who has several pairs of strong measuring Amperex 7316 tubes at what I would consider reasonable pricing (less than $200 each).  I found two pairs and emailed the seller for advice on selection.

@mitch2 

Sounds promising, you've used premium Amperex before so you know how great they are. Did you look for any NOS Mullards?

Just bought a matched pair of Amperex PQ 7316/ECC186 Holland Short Plate O-Getter 1965 Ct5 tubes that measure like new.   Should be here by Saturday.

No, I did not look for the Mullards.  I believe those short plate Amperex tubes are supposed to fall somewhere between the lusher Mullard long plates and box plates, and the more precise/detailed Telefunken and Siemens tubes.  I did like the PQ 7308 version in other preamps I owned some years ago.