What are/were the best sounding cheap components you have ever had?

It is easy to like the best of the best, so to say.  However it is always satifying and memorable when an inexpensive product turns out to be very good to great. 

Some that come to mind from personal experience"

Large Advents (original)

Early Nakamichi SR receivers

Original Monster interconnects and speaker wire

Pioneer Pl-12 turntable

Shure M-95

Early Stax and Audio Technica headphones

MoFi "special" pressings

Magnum Dynalab Etude.  Yes some were better, but a real value

The Absolute Sound mag in the beginning 

Early Conrad-Johnson and Audio Research tube electronics

Early Classe integrated amps.

The original Sony Trinitrons

And there are others....but part of this hobby is enjoying the journey.

Have you had cost effective items that were successful for your enjoyment?

jusam

The one that stands out best in my mind was a pair of ADS bookshelf speakers, possibly the L300. They had a wooden veneer cabinet and a metal grill.   I recall a review about them that was full of praise and that said that in a dark room, the speakers seemed to disappear leaving only the music.  And, it was true.  They were in my second system In our finished basement.  The clarity and imaging were fantastic. I don’t remember what I was driving them with, possibly an NAD integrated amp, but, in a smaller space, the midrange and treble actually was a close second to my Infinity RSIIb’s, which were bi-amped.  Great little speakers.

Oppo @ MSRP or lower price. Bedini amps. Audible Illusions preamps. Meridian 504 tuner used. Basis turntables and Rega tomearms used. Totem speakers used(Mani II & Forest)

Audionut51

My first Rega with a wooden base and an S-shaped arm, NAD 3140, and Allison Threes(the corner models).  When properly placed, the Allison's performed well above their paygrade.  Also my very first CD player; an early Magnavox/Philips built in Belgium and modified by one of Steve McCormack's early ventures, "The Mod Squad".  It died twenty years ago but recently I ran across an original un modified unit that looks like it was preserved in a time capsule since brand new.  Nearly bought tears to my eyes, I had to own it.   

https://imgur.com/mcnlNfc

https://imgur.com/zosIlPW

https://imgur.com/Ld9cvCS

’less costly’ tubes sounded better

My used Cayin amp had a pair of 6sn7 and pair of 6sl7, Cayin branded, no maker’s id, absolutely identical looking, but numbers were marked

Tested em all, incl power tubes. With my great experience I put two in wrong sockets and blew a 6sl7.

Put a used GE from stock, sounded great. 

Ordered matched pair Sylvania Military grade, cool looking chrome tops (wanted visibly different, so smart) They did NOT sound good.

Brent Jesse had me first break them in 60 hrs, still didn’t like them, he gave me full credit, I tried some GE, half the price, sound great.

Oh Happy Day!

Bose VCS-10 Center Channel Speaker, small, inexpensive

Only small fit, and it did not cost much, around $100. new. Surprisingly Good Sound

here’s one

New arrangement, bit more room replaced it with a Klipsch