What is the added value of a streamer over a networked dedicated Computer

Hi

I see lots of sales pitches for streamers as digital sources, and plenty on this site advocating them. I get that they're a purpose-built user interface but, apart from that convenience, including a visual display on the device, (i) do they really deliver better hi-fi sound as a source over a well set up computer dedicated to hi-fibreoriduction (ii) if so, why?

Here's some background to my question(s). I currently use a dedicated Mac Mini with SSD (headlessly) and Audirvana Plus software through a USB DAC. I tend to listen to digital files on external drives (wired connections). Some are high Definition eg Flac, some are aiff ripped from my extensive CD collection. Currently I only tend to use Spotify etc to test if I like music and invest in actual downloads of the music I like.  In day to day use the Mac Mini/Audirvana Plus (virtual) player is controlled using its remote app on an iPad on the same Network. If I wanted I could add high quality online streaming from, eg, Tidal. Whilst that would expand the breadth of music I have immediate access to, it seems to me to add another potential source of interruption/corruption of data flow. The Audirvana software overrides/bypasses detrimental computer audio elements and processes keeping the data path simple and dedicated to hifi audio replay.

So what, sound quality-wise, would a standalone streamer device using NAS or other drive storage and/or online web connection bring to the party? It seems to me it's just a digital device containing effectively the components of a computer with a button (or remote) interface. I understand the old argument that it's dedicated and not doing other things simultaneously and that computers are traditionally electrically noisy environments but I'm currently sceptical that with a dedicated computer, not being used for other purposes, and running a virtual device like Audirvana Plus which effectively switches off internal functions which might compromise sound, this is a real problem. Also it seems that a "dedicated streamer" contains many elements which are effectively computing elements. Note that I have no industry connection or monetary interest from Audirvana or Apple.

128x128napoleoninrags16

Having a dedicated streamer is a nice thing . But many already have computers and should at least try those first if that has appeal. It’s easy and can work very well. Just use a long usb wire so the computer is not too close to the amps for better chance of very good results. Also make sure to use drivers on the computer that are up to the task and stream good quality source material with a good quality streaming app. Then of course also use a good quality DAC. That can make a big difference.

I resisted a streamer for years. I finally purchased an iFi zen streamer and the jump in clarity was dramatic in my system. I have A/B’d the two setups repeatedly just to make sure. Your ears will answer your questions. Return the iFi on amazon if it doesn’t help your system. I kept mine.

Dear readers

I certainly do very much like to follow this discussion opened by napoleoninrags 16.

Which is, bdw a VERY interesting 'call sign' used in this forum'😉

100%, + mapman

In my system, there are totally 4 USB A-B connections (Oehlbach and ViaBlue) leading from 2 laptops (Win10) and 2 tablets (Android 7) into 3 different DAC's.  (SS Amp Cambridge Audio 751r, Marantz SACD player SE8005 and Hybrid Amp Vincent SV-500).

Streaming App's are JRiver with laptops and Audio Player Pro with tablets. The distance from the source to the DAC is 16 feet (2x), 8 feet and 3.5 feet.

My long term experience: Between these connections, I do not (cannot?) hear any difference regarding sound quality, which is really very good to my ears. I will have to check if I could hear a difference using my headphones (I am mostly listening over the speakers). BDW: I will later compare in detail the sound quality between USB A-B connection and HDMI connection from one source to the 751r. Just being curios...

Would it be worth to go for a dedicated streamer (price range US$ 200 to US$ 1'000)? I would need to find out and invest the money. Currently, I do believe that the investment of these bucks into the Quobuz Premier streaming plan is the way to go for me (Curiosity is killing the cat..). This is my personal opinion, based on my listening experience with my gear.

IMHO, instant-on is the only advantage, although streaming through my Amazon Echo starts just as fast. But if you have to boot up a laptop or tablet.... Otherwise, bits are bits.

So, the data, which represents the amplitude of the music must be correct, and error correction techniques ensure this, but crucially the timing must be consistently spot-on too. That’s why different streamers etc sound different.

The timing in the streamer has absolutely nothing to do with the timing in the DAC. The clock in the DAC is completely independent from the clock in the Streamer and the clock in the Ethernet  switch. .... completely independent