Hi-fi digital front end suggestions for my system

Hi everyone,

I don't know much about PC based sources and was hoping for some suggestions on a reference quality digital front end. I would like something that sounds as good as my modded Sony XA9000es SACD player with a budget of up to $2000 or so (used). I really love my CDP for solo listening but I need a digital source for entertaining.

I have read some of the forum postings and it seems that the Apple is better suited for high end digital? Unfortunately, I have an IBM Thinkpad, so I don't know if that's a non-starter without going way over budget. Also which DAC should I get?

Regards,

Ed
latinsamba1
Thanks Audphile1. If you are comparing the sound of the Transporter to CD players in the $3-4k range it is obviously a very nice sounding unit strait out of the box, especially for $2k. I don't have an external DAC in my system, and while my modified Sony XA9000es is great, its certainly not the ultimate player. It sounds like the Transporter might do just as well as my player (excluding SACDs).
it is still better if you evaluate the Transporter in your own system though, if possible.
I think slimdevices may offer some kind of a trial period...check it out.
My Wavelength Cosecant has outperformed just about any CDP player I have listened to. Which included a side by side with the Meridian G08 with a whole room full of Audiophile store workers who agreed.

Depending on your budget, the Cosecant is simply magical and worth the budgetary stretch or patience to wait to get it.

I wouldn't trade it as a source for ANY CDP thats for sure.
The Wavelength Cosecant seems like an outstanding USB digital source, but at $3500 the price of entry is rather steep for me. I wonder if anyone has compared the Modwright Transporter ($4000) to the Cosecant? If I was to go the Transporter route, I could always upgrade with Modwright mod package down the line....
Hi Latinsamba1
I just want to add alternative to above choices.
It is a Sonos system with Nixon Scott tube dac.
It is a easy almost plug&play setup
Easy to use with a very cool wireless controler.
Works with pc/mac - wmp and itunes.
I have it setup with my wireless 1T-bit hard drive.
A big plus of this set up is that you do not have to turn your comuter on to have access to your music library.
Nixon's tube dac makes the music a little less grainy/digital. This is only my opinion based on my own exp.
The whole setup will cost you about $1500 and if you decide to add huge ext. wireless hard drive - $300 more.
If you ask me how does it sound.....well... it sounds great.
It is at least as good or better then my Rega Apollo but not as good as new Prima Luna's ($2500) new CD player, which in my opinion beats everything up to $5000 and will be my next referance CD player.