Atma-Sphere Class D… Amazing

Today I picked up my Atma-Sphere Class D Amps. These aren’t broken in yet. And they are simply amazing. I’ve listen to a lot of High End Class D. Some that cost many times what Atma-Sphere Class D costs. I wasn’t a fan of any of them. But these amps are amazing. I really expected to hate them. So my expectations were low. The Details are of what I’ve never heard from any other amps. They are extremely neutral. To say the realism is is extremely good is a gross understatement. They are so transparent it’s scary. These amps just grab you and suck you into the music. After I live with them some and get them broken in. And do some comparisons to some other high end Amps Solid State, Tubes and Class D’s, also in other systems I’ll do a more comprehensive review. But for now, these are simply amazing amps.. Congrats to Ralph and his team. You guys nailed on these.

128x128pstores

Who’s the moron?

I think I can count a 1/2 dozen “minor morons”, if I take off my shoe…

• with moron in the social skills sense.
  • and minor in the <18 behavior sense.

If you want to taken as an adult, then you have some work to do in the delivery of your message.

@kuribo

Just curious what is your agenda here? Just curious. You obviously have one. You’ve turned a good thread into one of the worst ones I’ve ever seen on Agon. You continue this circular conversation. I am going to stay away from the thread I’ve posted.
But before I sign off this thread. I’ve posted the numerous Class D Amps I’ve had within my system. Within this thread. And I can say I didn’t like any of them. Until the Atma-Sphere Class D. I am keeping the Atma-Sphere Class D over the Pass Class A XA60.8’s and XA30.8 I’ve had in my system. Let that speak for itself. As those amps in my humble opinion are truely excellent amps.

I thank those who had a legitimate conversation, questions, points and tried to keep those alive. I have some good  things to also say about the Aqua LaScala DAC but seeing how this thread went…. I think I’ll keep my opinions to myself.

I've learned a few important things from this thread.

I've been impressed by the consistently positive comments about the sound quality of the new Atma-Sphere Class D amps from users who have owned or heard these amps in a variety of audio systems. 

I have been extremely impressed by Ralph Karsten's intelligence, patience, and skill in explaining the design principles he's used in creating and building these amps. He's also been effective in correcting misconceptions about his amps by posters who have been quick to question Ralph's choices in component parts, business models, and retail pricing.

At the same time, it has been concerning to read posts that question Ralph's honesty and transparency in providing sufficient information to potential customers who want more detailed measurements of the Class D amp. A number of basic measurements have been provided on the Atma-Sphere website, as is typical for Ralph's other amps. The amount of measurement information is more than provided by some manufacturers and less than provided by others. To suggest that Ralph is being insufficiently transparent about the functioning of this amp (for some dark reason) is silly and irresponsible. Ralph deserves greater respect than that, given his long career as an honest and talented designer of electronic gear. 

Based on the user opinions in this thread, as well as reading reviews and measurements of other Class D amps (some GanFET and some MosFET based), I look forward to listening to both the Atma-Sphere Class D amp and one of the Orchard Audio amps in my own system. Other listeners may prefer to focus on other products, but the Atma-Sphere and Orchard amps appear to offer the best balance of sound quality and cost in relation to my current budget and needs. As usual, other users may have different opinions.

All this fuss. Class D is the affordable ticket to music heaven these days. That includes Hypex and Purifi.  You can bank on that. It’s just a fact. Not to say others cannot still compete.  Good sound is largely a subjective determination but all really good sound excels in the same fundamental areas that can be easily measured.  Looking forward to see and hear how the Atmasphere product compares.

@pstores 

Point, counterpoint.

You've shared your opinion repeatedly: yes, you like the Atmasphere class d amp after not liking others, which to you is something significant. Yes, you like it better than some Pass amps, which in your opinion also means something significant.

Your opinions have been noted.

I have provided an alternative view: subjective opinions carry no factual information. We must each listen for ourselves to find our own truth.

I have tried to move the discussion to the objective arena where discussion on the merits can take place based on facts and debatable parameters. I have mentioned such things as design, cost, value, performance, etc., in an effort to draw logical comparisons to other class d amps- rationale, objective parameters that apply to all amps and all listeners- things that can be legitimately discussed and debated, unlike opinions on how something sounds.

As a result, we have learned several things- what was patented in the design, why the amp costs significantly more than other class d amps, why a linear power supply was chosen when many class d amps use a smps. Unlike hearing how fabulous and great the amp sounds, this is interesting and useful information. Additionally, the designer has been patient and comes across as an intelligent and thoughtful person. Also good to know.

I am disappointed however in the lack of transparency regarding the measured performance of the product. In today's market, with several companies backing up their marketing department with a wide battery of test results, I can't help but wonder why this company refuses to share such detail, nor even give any explanation as to why they do not publish a more comprehensive set of measurements. Ultimately the measurements will be made by a third party and shared, so again, hard to understand the secrecy, but clearly, it is the company's prerogative so it is what it is...

I wish Atmasphere the best of luck with their product.