Recommendations for HiFi Listening Room

Newbie here.  Wife and I are looking to turn our Great Room into a listening room.  It’s roughly 21’X’19 and has a cathedral ceiling that is 11’ tall at the wall and 20’ tall at the apex.  Spoke to a good hifi dealer in the area who made the following recommendations/proposal and I’m curious if this group may have any input for getting maximum bang for my buck.  Basically, with a budget around 35k (or thereabouts) would you buy something similar or are there any components you’d add or swap out?

Paradigm Persona 3F

McIntosh MA8950

Pro-Ject Xtension 9 w/ Ortofon Black Cartridge 

Sony ES DSD Music Server (this one concerns me a touch in that it appears to be an 8 yr old product line).

Thanks so much in advance for your collective expertise.  My wife isn’t going to let me drop money into this for another 15 years so I need to get it right the first time. 

If it matters, our musical taste is quite varied: classical, jazz, classic rock, alternative, hip hop.  My mother complained in my youth that if i had 10 bucks I would just buy a CD with it.  She is still right. 

128x128brewerslaw

Thank you all for the responses and suggestions.  It appears I have a few hifi dealers in the area so I should be able to easily test Legacy Audio, KEF, B&W, Golden Ear, Focal, MartinLogan and a few others besides the Personas that i liked.

If anyone has opinions about the above options, I’d love to hear them.  Particularly, if a particular line appears well suited for my needs (and wildly varied music taste) and/or suggestions on pairing an amp. I can say that my wife is going to be more excited about the Legacy Audio aesthetics than the Personas (and B&W would need to sound perfect for her to allow the look of them) but ultimately it’ll come down to performance for us both. 

A few more details about the room: it has wood floors that are fairly covered with several rugs and an absolutely gigantic and thick fabric couch (seats 10) that takes up a comical amount of space.  There are 9 large windows (about 30 inches wide and 8+ feet tall) spaced around 3 of the walls and a fireplace.  The entryway from the kitchen is about 7 ft wide and there is a small balcony on the top floor overlooking the room above the entryway.  Room is slightly asymmetrical and one corner more of a fifth wall about 5 ft wide.  It’s easily the coolest room of the house but we never have a reason to sit in it so we thought a great 2 channel sound system would prompt us to use it. I sent info to Gik this evening so thanks for that suggestion as well.

This group is a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate your time immensely!

Thanks for the updated details on the room and it is a good idea to consult with Gik. Are there drapes for the windows? It is possible with that ceiling height and configuration that it will need some treatment as well as the walls. Anyway, as Blisshifi said, start with getting the room right and work on from there. It is better to sort the room out before auditioning equipment. For example, in an untreated room, current B&W's will likely sound too bright.

The other observation I would make is to not let the comically large couch dictate your listening position. There's a temptation in a large room to want to use the space and to position speakers too far apart and to listen from too far away.

Looks like the dealers hands are already trying to get into your pocket. Oddiofyl gives great advice. You really should look around and try different brands, systems. I like Vandersteen Quatro CT, Ayre and Magnepan as brands mentioned to listen to. Also try open baffle and Horn speakers (Klipsch and Volti come to mind). With horns you don’t have to spend tons of $$ on amp power. A quality mid current/watt amp can fill a room with high efficiency speakers. Good luck.

Be cautious  of  any Canadian  made speaker.  Most of them are made as tested in the nation research  ce ters anicocic chamber they sound good if you build your room into  a chamber as well if not you have a ear bleeding bright system that sounds awful. The trashcan kid tweeters they put in most of them along with tubby bass. Remember  when you look at speakers if it says made in Canada  it's just another cheap Canadian  speaker. Paradigm may have got better but I had there top speaker years ago and that was the start of my first real system. I still likely  have blood stain on the floor from the blood that poured our of my ears. I have not bother to listen to a pair again ad I don't even need to hear a pair again. Remember  another of people build speakers but there are very few good ones. Also don't forget horn speakers sound good at ballparks usually  bright a d  or enough  room. Volume  for everything  to integrate  well between  the drivers. You do have a large volume  room but I would hesitate  on a horn speaker as well.  On wire if you are a bit handy my recommendation  for wire would be furutech there products  are very good performers and cheap at the level the play at. 

https://www.partsconnexion.com/wire-cable-non-terminated.html

Look at the top and second from the top wires in each category.