Silver Speaker Cables

I would like to try silver speaker cables. I have always been curious as to how they would affect the sound of my system. That said, I have a very limited budget. Is there such a thing as low priced silver cables? If so, recommendations?

Thanks all!

gnoworyta

A wire that is copper with silver plating will not sound the same, and you should want to be talking apples to apples and not apples to oranges. Also expect about 200 hours of break-in to achieve the best sound.

Very good distinction Lak, and good advice.

Charles

Thanks for the system info. I don’t know what the sound characteristics of your preamp is. But looking at how many functions it has, I would be a bit concerned it might not be up to silver… would you consider your system to be pretty warm? If yes, then silver may be ok. Again, I would try DHLabs.

I think the thread does a good job of pointing out the possible outcomes. Maybe it would be best to try some from cableCo.

http://signalcable.com/silverresolutionspeaker.html

These are very decent for not a tremendous amount of coin.  I've run them for years.

The other very good option is Duelund 12 gauge single wire you cut to length you need for your purposes.  This stuff is ridiculously good for not much coin.  You'll need read the specs.  No termination options, just wire and that's okay.

Remember, whatever length you need between component and speaker will need be quadrupled.  It's easy to order too little not taking into account the 4 factor.

I think any differences heard are so miniscule per dollar spent, you'd be better off buying better components than changing a cable.

I think any differences heard are so miniscule per dollar spent, you’d be better off buying better components than changing a cable.

In some scenarios this could certainly be the case given the many independent variables of specific audio systems. I can say that this sure was not my outcome.

I remain very happy with my current components and have no interest in wholesale changes. The addition of high-quality pure silver cables has been terrific in my audio system.

Charles