MoFi controversy

I see this hasn't been mentioned here yet, so I thought I'd put this out here.  Let me just say that I haven't yet joined the analog world, so I don't have a dog in this fight.

It was recently revealed that Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs one step LPs are being cut from digital masters (DSD) rather than being straight analog throughout the chain.

Here is one of the many Youtube videos that discusses it

To me, it seems that if MOFI is guilty of anything, it's "deception by omission."  That is, they were never open about the process and the use of digital in the chain. 

One thing to mention is that hardly anyone is criticizing the sound quality of these LPs, even after this revelation.  Me personally, I wouldn't spend over one hundred dollars for any recording regardless of the format.

ftran999
Post removed 

@grislybutter - the comparison should be the price of the audiophile records versus regular NEW records. Typical records, sometimes 180g these days, go for $20-$25. Audiophile pressings are around $35-$40. 45's usually up the price by $20 or so. All of these do sound better, and IMHO are worth the difference (45s if I really like the record), if they are available. There is a reason the popular titles sell out so quickly. There are a lot of people out there who agree with me. As a matter of fact, Somethin' Else (Cannonball Adderley with Miles) is sold out in  preorder in the One Step! Luckily I got my order in.

An excellent 45 from say Acoustic Sounds/Quality Record Productions goes for $60. Add in the deluxe packaging and more expensive pressing process, and the One Steps should go for $85-$90 in my estimation. The collectibility/branding makes up the difference. If this issue reduces that part of the value on the resale market to these type numbers, all the better. If it costs me by reducing the estimated value of my audiophile collection of Original Master Recordings, UHQRs and One Steps, I'm OK with that, since I am not selling, and I can buy others at a better price. It'll cost my wife or kids I guess if they sell them when I'm in a box. They'll never know the difference.

And yes it would be simpler to transfer the music in a Hi Rez download, but it costs way less, that is why records cost more.

And you do have a clue, because I would challenge any "golden ear" person to play a vinyl record and say whether there was any digital mastering involved. The point, in my mind of the One Steps was a better pressing of the record by simplifying that process, not so much the mastering in Analogue.

@sokogear 

thanks for the explanation, it's a lot to consider (like wine - when most people just get a buzz but the few...)

I did look at Better Records. I was put off by their list of some really mediocre music, as @secretguy  noted

I still believe one would need a very good system to get the most out of $10 vs $100 records. 

I am afraid these albums won't get cheaper, but I don't mind browsing local  record stores and finding gems - once in a while. 

Q: if they have 5 copies of the same album, what should I look for? How would I know if one is better than the other?

@grislybutter - they're not $10 records you're comparing them to. They're $20-$25 records if new. If they are 45's they are more. The One Steps are mainly 45's and they are $125. The 33s are $100. Compare apples to apples....

I avoid used records at all costs because you don't know what you are getting, although I am sure there are some bargains available. I've been able to pick up some NEW records on eBay for $12-$15.

The One Steps have already gone down a bit on Discogs, some titles more than others. I hope it continues.

Usually record stores price their used records based on condition (or maybe how much they paid for it, which should be based on condition), so the more you pay, the better SQ you get.

In terms of getting "the most" out of a record, that is impossible to assess. I would say more like the value, which is in the eye of the consumer. My cousin has a couple thousand dollar system that he thinks is very good and has other priorities than upgrading it (and that is really all that matters) and he appreciates better sounding records and buys them sometimes. I consider my low 5 figure system beyond very good (and don't want to invest a lot more - I've built it incrementally over 40+ years, never in big chunks) but plenty of people spend high five into 6 figures, some even 7! If you're playing with Monopoly money, why not? It must be nice. I just hope those people have the room acoustics to justify it. My brother in law has spent probably $60K or more on his system and it is in his office! (maybe 10x12) with speakers close to the wall because he can't move them out due to space limitations.