Atma-Sphere Class D… Amazing

Today I picked up my Atma-Sphere Class D Amps. These aren’t broken in yet. And they are simply amazing. I’ve listen to a lot of High End Class D. Some that cost many times what Atma-Sphere Class D costs. I wasn’t a fan of any of them. But these amps are amazing. I really expected to hate them. So my expectations were low. The Details are of what I’ve never heard from any other amps. They are extremely neutral. To say the realism is is extremely good is a gross understatement. They are so transparent it’s scary. These amps just grab you and suck you into the music. After I live with them some and get them broken in. And do some comparisons to some other high end Amps Solid State, Tubes and Class D’s, also in other systems I’ll do a more comprehensive review. But for now, these are simply amazing amps.. Congrats to Ralph and his team. You guys nailed on these.

128x128pstores

I don’t believe that people find objective criteria too much to accept. Rather it is inadequate in determining the sonic performance of a given audio product.

Exactly.

I am not "critical and dismissive of actually listening and judging" ...

That statement is inconsistent with this:

Whether or not it "outperforms" other class d amps can only be judged by the specs.

And that’s how logic works.

No, it doesn’t. People can certainly listen and form their own subjective opinions as to whether or not they like amp A, or prefer amp A over amp B. As I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Opinions are not facts.

When someone says amp A out performs amp B, they are making an objective statement as there are parameters that can be measured and compared objectively. An amp is by definition a device that takes a small signal and outputs a larger version, by most standards, the more accurately the signal is enlarged, the better the amp’s performance. We can certainly compare the input to the output and measure the differences, and from those differences make objective comparisons.

Many people actually prefer an amp that adds certain distortions to the output. Some don’t. Subjective preferences don’t have to, and often fail to, align with the actual objective performance.

@pstores 

Thanks for all the useful info on the sound of the new A-S Class D amps. As you continue to listen and compare these amps to other high quality amps, please provide some additional comments on their ability to convey a fullness and richness of tone, especially in piano, voice, acoustic guitar, and upright bass. When I hear about an amp's ability to convey great detail and transparency, I worry that the added detail may come at the expense of a natural fullness of tone. I've heard this effect in several good quality interconnects that provide excellent detail but don't have quite enough "meat-on-the-bones" in the upper bass and midrange to provide the balanced sound I like to hear. Any additional comments in this area of performance would be much appreciated. 

Okay, if that’s your position, that’s fine. I don’t believe that people find objective criteria too much to accept. Rather it is inadequate in determining the sonic performance of a given audio product. Anyway, thanks and I appreciate you sharing your perspective on this forum.

What are objective measurements missing, other than subjectivity?

Could it be that while we can objectively measure how well the output compares to the input, we simply can’t account for taste? Is it so hard to comprehend that people’s tastes can differ and that some people just happen to prefer some distortion added in? Why must we assume that there is some mysterious unknown physical phenomena that just can’t be captured by modern science inherent in audio equipment, be it an amp, cables, or whatever, that has to exist to explain the tremendous range of opinions about audio gear when the simplest explanation is that the phenomena isn’t in the equipment but in ourselves?

Is the need to have our opinions validated, confirmed and shared by others so great that we need to invent baseless rationales in order to be "right"? Are we so insecure that we need to seek out the opinions of others rather than be satisfied with our own subjective impressions? Amazing, isn't it, how people will take to heart others subjective impressions of audio gear as if there is truth in them for themselves but wouldn't ever think of letting someone else season their steak or order their meal for them at a restaurant...

It really is ok to just like how something sounds, regardless of whether or not it is objectively superior. And it’s ok for others to not like it.

@pstores 

I am looking forward to the additional listening impressions from your audiophile/music lover friends. Should be insightful and certainly fun.

Charles