Are there any more good multi format disc players out there?

I miss the old days, circa 2007. I miss my great sounding multi channel Marantz disc player the UD7007, and the way it played dvd-audio, SACDs, and redbook convincingly. I have a lot of multi channel SACDs and dvd-a that I can’t listen to because my current player only does two channel. Does anyone know of any new players marketed for that same purpose, or do I need to get with the times, buy a streamer and admit defeat? I understand that not all multi channel audio was good, but a lot still is, and having the option to play it—in high resolution two channel as well—was terrific.

I still have the Marantz, but I was told it wasn’t worth repairing. Maybe it is after all. Maybe something on the used marketplace?

Anyone have any suggestions?

jonasandezekiel

@jonasandezekiel

Oppo made some nice multi-format players. Although they are out of business, there are plenty of used ones for sale like the BDP-205.

I burned all of my CDs and SACDs into a Melco server so that I can get the best of both worlds: easy access and CD plus hi-rez resolution. The output goes into a DAC/streamer, so I can also stream when I want to.

@jonasandezekiel  There are dedicated threads on both avsforum and avforums.

There's also the Pannde PD-6 but it looks like it's only available in Asia and Europe.

The Sony is the only reasonably priced player on the market that plays all formats.

Early on the Reavon would play only the lower resolution layer of DVD-a discs but apparently that was fixed in a firmware update about 6 months ago. Can't hurt to contact them and make sure.

OP,

Ok, you were posting on multi format players. My point was when you buy a player, it is set for the resolution of the player. Then as higher resolutions are available and become available you will not be getting them.

Buying an inexpensive streamer is simply going to confirm that players sound better than streamers. Which sounds better is completely about the overall quality of the components. If you want I am sure you can easily find player that is better sounding than a streamer + DAC at many cost levels…. And visa versa. The real point is that for those of us that have done a lot of research, owned a lot of really good equipment realize that for close to the same money you can get streaming that sounds the same or better than a player and that the addition benefits are nearly infinite access to music, and higher quality formats, now and in the future.

I am not in an argument with you, I am trying to be really helpful. Point out a dead end versus an open ended future. My streaming sounds better than my CDs. If there are exceptions (we can have long discussions on specific formats… but honestly the equipment you own mostly determines the sound quality… the digital format less), they are always exceptions. But put your money on today and the future not BetaMax.

My point is that if you have X dollars to spend on digital… then investing in streaming is the way to go, now and in the future.