Looking for 2.1 Digital preamp recommendation

I'm looking to replace a node 2i that failed on me after just 3 years and need some recommendations. I used it as a streamer for Tidal hifi, and used an optical output from my TV to play sound on 2 Tekton impact monitors through some Outlaw monoblocks. I also have a small Dynaudio sub on the system. I use an Apple tv remote to control the volume because the output form my tv is not variable, and the AppleTV does not have an audio output (It just has HDMI, so I use the TV to strip the audio out). I don't need a data bank, or advanced streaming nerdy features, just a optical in, stereo/sub output and a IR based volume control so I can continue to use the Appletv remote, which has high WAF and need to retain. 

So far, I've come across just one unit that fits the bill, the Minidsp Flex, but it has features I dont need and its a pretty hefty $500 - I'd like to pay closer to half that. It doesn't do streaming, which is fine, I can just Bluetooth to it from my phone when I want to play music. I always found the bluOS app annoying anyway - might as well use the tidal app and BT. I'm not sure how all of that HIFI Tidal MQA malarkey works over BT, but its not a big deal as this is not a critical listening setup, its just used 90% for TV for the family.

BTW, I also came across the Amazon Echo Link which is near perfect, but it does not have a remote control option. Thanks all.

128x128doug1234

My Apple TV’s are getting a bit long in the tooth, so you might have a newer version, but mine both have optical outputs, which I don’t use.  I am confused about your needs.  You are ok with a Bluetooth streamer?  That will be a step down from the Node, just so you know.  I would look at the Audioengine Bluetooth DACs.  They are in your price range and I think they have Optical inputs as well.  
 You could always just get a cheap AVR and use the preamp stage only

The other option would be to use Apple Music and just use the ATV as your streamer.  Whatever benefits Tidal might have over Apple Music won’t be perceptible over BT.

Ok, so the new apple tv doesn’t have optical output so I need to use my Samsung tv to strip the audio layer out for a preamp. This is not a critical listening setup, so you are right, I could actually jsut stream to the apple tv directly, but the Samsung DACS are in that signal path, so ideally I’d get a preamp with BT/ethernet/wifi capability and nice DACs, but again, thats a 10% use case. I mostly just want to watch tv.

I identified two options so far, not sure if they are optimal..

The Emotiva BasX TA1 would work, but its a bit large and ugly and I’m not an emotiva fan. :)

There is the Yamaha WXC-50 which looks pretty good, and not a terrible price. I'm likely going to end up with this device.

I’m not really in love with either, still looking for more slick options..

Post removed