A rookie with 10K, seeking advise

I'm new to the HiFi world. I listen to a lot of female vocal and classical music. I like both digital and vinyl. I am using a pair of Wharfedale Linton heritage and PS Audio Stellar Strata. 

I know this is too broad a question, but with 10K budget, where can I wisely spend my money? I don't mind tubes and I don't mind used either.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

llid2

if you're going to spend about 6,000 for speakers I would look at the monitor audio gold 200s generation 5 they're very good very natural three-dimensional sounding.

Most of us build systems over decades. Typically this is how folks that really love high quality reproduced music with budget constraints do it. Each step should be carefully planned with the result of having a synergistic system with each component of roughly equal performance at some point. Then you enjoy for years until you can upgrade to the next level.

I think your question is great. I was there once. It would be great if you posted photos of your system and venue (under your UserID), this can really help in assessing and recommending equipment and placement.

Lots of good advise (minus the spend on power cords and interconnects). If this is part of a journey to create a great system an say you have $10K now and can come up with another $2.5K every year… then you can work towards a really great system in three or four years… with very substantial improvements every year as you get there. The time frame is important, in that, there is lots to learn. Read, listen, read, listen, repeat. If this appeals to you… we can really help. Your goal will change as a result of listening and making changes.

Typically I will always start with speakers to define “the next level”. Speakers typically are the most important component. They really define the sound. They must be sized for the space… and the technology capable of making you really happy. So for instance… if you were into rock… B&W speakers… heavy on the bass… then you choose electronics to complement them… massive MacIntosh amps. The first 30 years of my pursuit of the high end was dominated by planar speakers: electrostatic (like Martin Logan), ribbon (Apogee), and Heil (Air Motion transducers), but the last twenty has been traditional dynamic cone speakers.

You like a really good midrange and a good bit of detail…so a natural / musical speaker… Totem, Sonus Faber could fit the bill. See my systems… I think, these would make you happy… but are too expensive right now.

To get to where you want to go… unfortunately you will want to replace everything. Combined units are not good and you have budget speakers. This means there are a lot of appropriate paths. Certainly making it confusing. There are a lot of good choices.

One might be $5K speakers, $2.5 Preamp (definitely would not hurt to go for $3.5K used here), and a $2.5K amp. The preamp should be tubed… I would recommend a used Audio Reseach LS for the preamp.

Education: Read Robert Harley’s The Complete Guild to High End Audio, get a subscription to The Absolute Sound and Stereophile. Go to any local high end audio stores… listen. Tell them you are at the beginning of a search… you need to get a feel for the sound you are looking for. If you can find a high end audio dealer that can coach you… that really helps. I have had three fantastic relationships with owners of audio stores. My audio guy in Portland, a friend for 20 years, has dropped by a pair of Audio Research Reference 160 monoblocks… which I have been using for 8 months ($32K).

Once you get the basic components… then you can work on interconnects and cables.

Hello llid2!  Don't be in a hurry to spend your hard earned $$. Keep the Lintons! If you are not too shy to DIY, you can build amps & preamps from kits and save a bundle. If you prefer factory made gear, used is a great way to go. A classic preamp can be had for a reasonable amount (MacIntosh, Marantz, NAD, Rogue, etc) paired with a new power amp (Starke Sound Fiera4) and good cables (the Lintons are good enough that you can hear the difference) (Zavfino, Wireworld). Look for a used Oppo disc player (good luck on that one). Do you have a computer (laptop or desktop)? You can use that for a CD player with a good DAC ($300 - $1500). Save some of that $$ to buy music! Very Good TTs can be had for under $1000 (here's where used gear can save you a ton of $$) with a new cartridge (from the dealer who sells you the used TT - free, seriously careful installation). You have no idea what shape a used cartridge is in. It could have a chippd stylus that will carve your vinyl into junk on the first pass. Don't take a chance! Contact me for more if you wish. Happy listening!

@stringreen advice is always safe:

put it in the bank....then when the Market returns go for it.

While a lot of people say “Everything matters”, but in reality it is best to order things.

1. Room
  2. Speakers
  3. Subwoofer
  4. Front end
  5. Amp(s)

I find the Devore speakers are perplexing, but I only heard them once.
You might like their soundstage.

@jasonbourne52 mentioned them:

There’s a pair of DeVore Gibbon Super Nine’s for sale here on Agon for $7800. Those would be a major upgrade over the Linton’s. Seller is in Atlanta.

It is probably worth a drive, and in addition to those… just take your time and listen to many speakers.
The problem with that approach is that you are also listening to the listening room, and everything else, + biases and dealer magic… so it is not 100% representative of what you may end up with at home.
Hence, just make a list of what to listen to, and starting moving slowly and measured, and @stringreen suggested.

it is not unreasonable for it to take months to years of listening to speakers, and with more speakers now, than in the past… (QED)

What PS Audio phono preamp are you using (GCPH or Stellar)?

Also what digital "sources" are you using?

Unless I missed it (quite possible) I do not know exactly what your "front ends" are.

Anyway, that’s where I would start researching as the rest of the gear (electronics) look pretty good.

As far as the speakers and TT go, perhaps schedule a trip to a good audio show and/or a well stocked showroom that’s accommodating.

DeKay