Purifi v Gan amps?

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare Purifi based amps eg MarchP422, Purifi etc with Gan amps such as LSA Voyager or Peachtree Gan 400 or similar?

128x128mazian

@mazian 

Unfortunately, you are going to have to listen for yourself. No one can honestly compare two (really) Technolgies.  Within each one of them, the differences are going to be all over the place. @ricevs is right.  Pick two within your budget (one of each) and see which one pleases you the most.  That might point you to one direction or another.  Implementation is going to be a big factor.  You might have to read a lot of reviews to get an idea which flavor is more to your liking.  I had the same conundrums and ended with a GaN one.  Still happy with my choice.

There are several GaN amps out there but from what I have seen, only one is a real performer with modern class d design- the Orchard product. Read the review in Audio Express I believe where it and the Purifi amp were compared. The LSA and Peachtree amps use the same GaN module which has a heavily dependent frequency response with load, just like the 25 year old Tripath class d amps. This is an out of date design- modern, state of the art class d amps like Purifi, ncore, and the Orchard modules have load invariant response, which is what a properly designed amplifier should have.

Hi mazian!  I have two sterio pair of the PuriFi amp and six Starke AD4-320s.

The Starkes are just a bit smoother on the top end. The are designed for smoothness. Transparency, etc will depend more on your preamp, cables etc. The amps that have the "guts" in a tube bottle are also extremely clear and impressive. I don't own any of those but have contacts with them and Ocean Audio and have heard them under very good conditions. But they are pricy and the newest version of Starke's amp is going for $1500 and is the bargain of the age. I use 4 way electronic crossovers (miniDSP) feeding the four way Linkwitz LX 521 speakers on the main system. That takes care of 8 channels and two amps. Another Starke powers the rear speakers and center channel. Geninely awesome. I also use one of the Starkes (bridged stereo mode, 320 wpc) to power Magnepan LRS speakers. Another Starke  powers a 5+1 surround sound system (with the help of two extra amp channels, LM3886 based - I have many of those). The Purfi amps feed a very good bedroom stereo system. One is now a spare and traveling demo unit. I won't disconnect the Starkes; they are too good to disturb. Cables matter; you will hear differences in cables if your front end is good enough. Feel free to contact me if I can be of service. Happy Listening!

Don’t get sucked into buying just because it has GAN in its build , if these were the end all most other top companies would be using them ?

i have a top Coda integrated it’s not in Thst , Pass labs, AR , Boulder, Gryphon ,Goldman or many other top companies , there is so much more to the engineering 

and build quality , please keep this in mind it’s all about Marketing, being in Audio for decades I remember when Technics said look at these new great amplifiers 

vacuum tubes are dead they can’t compete in measurements yet they are still going strong, track record,and reliability count most !!

Gan transistors we’re invented many years ago , they are much more efficient

and will be in.many more products. In the future ,they are very good I actually own a GAN charger for my phones and tablets ,over 3x faster ,

My point is ,I have seen several amplifiers advertising gan transistors which is good 

but the rest of the guts were average at best , that was my point .very good value for a lower mid fi  amp.by Audiophile standards and todays pricing.