Does a DAC need a large/strong power supply?

I see these inexpensive DACs on ASR that get great reviews, but people say they're not that good because of a weak power supply. Is this mostly true? Does a DAC sound better with an overkill power supply?

koestner

@nonoise 

Astute observation!

I enjoy open discussion forums and the various opinions and points of view. Perspectives I do not agree with can nonetheless be stimulating and thought provoking. Needless to say I suppose is that we all have our limits. In my case I hold little regard for those who display a glaring disregard (Mocking) for the gift of hearing and concentrated listening. We are endowed with this very special and vital sense for a reason.

When measurements are revered and reliance on hearing is dismissed or sneered upon, something is vastly out of kilter.Audio components are sought for the single purpose of hearing them perform as intended, listening to recorded music. Why is this activity for some, downplayed and replaced with infatuation with numbers and instrument derived test results? How is this possibly of more value than using one’s own ears? Not scientific enough ?

Both have value and measurements have meaningful application. In my opinion the listening process to judge audio merit has far greater significance.

Charles

@charles1dad ,

Very well stated. Ones needs measurements to get you there and listening to refine and perfect it. To disparage the second half of the equation is downright silly and exposes those who do so as trolls, as this one ably demonstrates.

All the best,
Nonoise

@koestner

You ask a good question - but I think ultimately what you’ve come across is a case of people dismissing (or perhaps minimizing) the performance of a component under the misguided notion that price or fancy parts is an indication of how a piece of gear performs.

So why does an inexpensive component measure well? Adhering to good engineering and design principles most likely. What about all the hubbub over different power transformer types, discrete circuits and custom digital filters? It’s really all just marketing in the end.

If you decide to compare the Yggy to something like the Topping D90 SE, then I highly suggest removing this type of psychological priming through a blind test. You can draw inspiration from this Wikipedia article on ABX testing. Not knowing which source you’re listening to (and probably keeping your eyes closed) during testing helps you to judge solely on sound quality. Don’t forget to pay attention to the section labeled ’Confidence’.

I can not see how a properly designed well implemented power supply would not be good for a DAC or any audio components. However, maybe not ''overkill'' power supply but, a properly designed one with quality parts. Just my $0.02 😎

Mike