Prima Luna evo300 owners

As you guys know, this integrated has 6 12au7 type tubes in front.

My question: Do you guys use identical brand tubes across the board or do you mix brands up in the same family and in a specific order to get better sound?

thecarpathian

@tablejockey I have highly regarded and appreciated your posts and responses over the years, but you are misconstruing my statements above. I also did not say “it’s only an amp you buy if you spend on tubes.” I am very favorable towards the PL above, and all I say is “You should plan to spend”.

This investment is typically made, but it doesn’t mean that it is incurred up front. The fact of the matter is that most PL owners end up investing in NOS or aftermarket tubes for the unit. Perhaps they purchase it first and live with it for a few months or even years. But then, they do end up buying tubes for it that in total increase the total investment into the amplifier.

The $1,000-1,500 amount I believe is fairly on point because it covers a gamut:

• whether someone buys a 300 with four output tubes or a 400 with eight output tubes
  • whether only two 12AU7 or all six are replaced
  • whether an owner tries one tube type like KT88 and wants to try aftermarket EL34 after

… and so on.

The unit is a gateway to tube rolling, and I just wanted to inform the OP of that, that most succumb to rolling to get it to sound its best, and what it might cost overall. I had no other intent other than to prep the OP for this.

@blisshifi

Thank you very much for your helpful comments regarding Primaluna. Having sold my vintage but much upgraded tube separates, I keep searching for a contemporary or at least 21st century integrated tube amp which might have at least a modicum of the euphonic. I suspect that Primaluna is not that amp.

@ps I think the Primaluna is definitely in the “modern tube amp” camp. It might have a touch of euphonic compared to a 100% neutral solid state amplifier. It can have a bit more warmth than say an ARC Ref 150 SE, but it’s not as euphonic as say a Luxman KT-88 amp. It is very versatile, and rolling other tubes like Gold Lion KT-88 or Psvane EL34PH, combined with NOS 12AU7 like Brimar CV4003 or Mullard CV4003 can make it more euphonic.

I understated the Psvane EL34PH above, as they do add a wonderful sense of romanticism and bloom while keeping wondering speed and definition at the frequency extremes they are my favorite readily-available EL34 tubes today, but they run upwards of $450-500 per quad  

FWIW, if you are not looking for high power, I am a new dealer for Margules, and I have the last new Margules I-240 integrated amplifier coming my way. At 25wpc, it might be just what you are looking for. It is getting glowing reviews and was a contender for best in show at the recent Pacific Audio Fest just a few weeks ago. Google it and see what reviews come up and PM me if interested in discussing more.