DSP vs. active analog crossover vs. passive analog crossover. What is your take?

What is you take on the sound quality?  Any personal experience and knowledge on the subject will be greatly appreciated. 

128x128tannoy56

At my vacation home and liking the way they sound using first order passive analog crossover. 

For me it's analogue active. After the digital to analogue conversion, adding another conversion to digital then to analogue again doesn't seem transparent. I know, DSP allows for things that an analogue crossover will never allow you to do, important things like time alignement, slope selection, sometimes FIR filters... but my question is: do we ALWAYS need those? Isn't it better to try to solve things differently? Time-align physically when needed (and possible)? Use drivers that don't need EQ? treat your room, not your signal? etc etc.

I just love the way my simple Sublime Acoustic K231 crossover sounds. It doesn't mess with the signal. 

We are all different and are all sensitive to different things, I guess, and there's no absolute answer that fits each and every situation. That's the beauty of this hobby.

Still, I have a feeling DSP has become the "universal solution" for everything these days, for a certain percentage of audiophiles, and to me that is not the way to deal with things. 

+1 @blisshifi Exactly...

I may order the new dipole bass units for my ET LFT 8's. I like the concept of the design but my past experience with DSP (and digital cross over) is making me hesitant to take the plunge. First world problems...

As Nelson Pass so eloquently said, "Some think using DSP sours the cow's milk" I tend to be of that opinion. I've spent a bunch of money on a DAC, so to introduce several lower end DACs to manipulate the signal is just, well not even close to being a good topology. Active analog X-overs with jfets. Yeah. But remapping step, phase, and time coherence etc. I believe that is the business of speaker manufacturers and I'll be happy to rely on their brilliance to that end. Even if it happened in the 1990's. Long live John Dunlavy. Peace.

I use DSP forward of my DAC and analog active XO and I am quite pleased with result and would not go back. Not an easy task to get the crossover points right. With an understanding of your speakers XO, and the tools of Room EQ Wizard and a cheezy digital active crossover (behringer makes one) you can determine crossover frequencies and slopes. From there one can replace the digital XO with a proper analog XO. It does complicate the system with 6 to 8 channels of amplificaiton, but well worth the effort and expense IMO.