Cheapest way to enhance SQ with digital streaming

I could not stop but post my observations on remarkable SQ improvement with just a small change. I have been using digital streaming predominantly and have tried many things (cables, conditioner, room treatment). Everything does matter and they all did improve the quality without doubt and are definite investment. But after going through some reviews of fiber optic for Ethernet and their noise reducing properties compared to copper cables, I thought of giving a try. I connected Ethernet cable from router/Ethernet switch to media converter and fiber optic from this media converter (need SFP module) to second media converter (with another SFP module). Then regular Ethernet cable went from this second media converter to server/streamer. Basically the idea is to add fiber optic cable between the router and streamer, which will reduce the noise. But, wow, the difference was huge and amazing. Not sure how to explain the improvement, but the SQ was more fluid, melodious, fast, clean and separation of instruments were clear. The total cost for this was less than 150 (on Amazon). Apparently, as the fiber optic cable conductors are made of glass, they carry less noise compared to copper and also cost very cheap. Compared to money spent on other component in my system (have spent quite a lot), this is the most cost efficient and gave more improvement in the SQ. I am still amazed by this and very happy with what I heard. I feel negligent not to share with my fellow audiophiles, who are trying to get the best out and improve their system, sometime spending quite a bit for small difference. I guess, since the cost of trying this is so cheap (please don’t make me feel guilty for telling 150$ is cheap), try yourself and see the difference. On a different note, have been reading that use of Ethernet switch also does some “saucery” (I am no technical guy, but do read quite a bit of articles on audio) to reduce this noise to improve SQ and combination of fiber optic and the Ethernet switch takes SQ to different level. Will try some audiophile Ethernet switch sometime (may be uptone ethergen or Sotm snh-10g) to try out as I am very intrigued. 
romney80

"wow, the difference was huge and amazing"

I have been around the block and back on this stuff but I just don't come to the same conclusion as above.  I have 45 feet of fiber, converters, LPSs, Network Acoustics ENO and Ethernet cable, GigaFOIL v4, and the Silent Angel Bonn N8 switch.  My internet is high speed with an Orbi mesh router system and a standard switch at the main router which separates the audio stuff (the Silent Angel Bonn N8 switch is near my components). I am using Mojo Audio's DejaVu server and EVO DAC and with those components, it is my experience that any sonic difference/improvement resulting from all the digital "add-on stuff" is subtle, if any.

I decided to simplify all this "stuff" by moving the Silent Angel Bonn N8 switch near my main router, running 45 feet of Ethernet cable from that switch directly into the GigaFOIL v4 (which is near my components), and then running the Network Acoustics Ethernet cable from the GigaFOIL v4 directly into my server.  The switch, router, and GigaFOIL v4 are all on LPS. 

I am having a hard time discerning any sonic difference resulting from the simplifications.  My system sounded good before the changes and it sounds good after.  I may reintroduce the ENO and/or try moving things around a bit just for kicks but I am skeptical this stuff does much of anything, and certainly not to the levels discussed by some on these forums.  Maybe I need to listen more, or maybe the add-on stuff is more helpful for systems located in noisy environments.

@mitch2 Perhaps huge and amazing may be over exuberance over an initial, formerly unheard difference, sure many of us have been here.

In going back in my mind over all streaming changes since my initial foray some seven, eight years back, there were times when a change brought about this same over exuberance. Over time I can now see changes have all been incremental, however, if I were to compare my original setup to present it would be huge and amazing difference. Perhaps you need to do this comparison in order to reaquaint yourself with the efficacy of your upgrades.

For me, the higher resolving my system, the easier it is to hear the smallest changes.

Based on your description of setup, weakest link I see is the 45' ethernet from switch to gigafoil. Moving Silent Bonn close to router, replacing standard switch would seem to be good move. I'm lucky in that my internet service comes into my dedicated listening room, but at one point had this setup at far end of room, running 25' ethernet from modem to router (which is close to audio system). I then decided to setup modem close to router via 25' longer coax, so now I could use 1m ethernet from modem to router, no ethernet longer than 1.5M in entire streaming setup. So between shorter ethernet which also meant I could use better ethernet (
various generic to Supra to AQ Cinnamon, long cables,  to AQ Vodka, short cables). Both shorter and better quality ethernet cables were meaningful upgrade for me.

@mitch2 It would be interesting to hear your impressions if you took out all supplementary devices that are not required to get sound... just go bare bones with the server and DAC and see how it sounds.   

It would be interesting to hear your impressions if you took out all supplementary devices 

Interesting idea.  I will give that a try.  IME, my biggest streaming improvements over the years have been through upgrading components and digital processing.

BTW, the 45 feet of fiber vs. 45 feet of CAT8 Ethernet comparison is easy since both of those runs are already in place.

Yep, its usually the case several incremental upgrades result in an overall large upgrade. I nearly always do A>B>A comparisons to confirm I'm hearing what I think I'm hearing, especially with streaming. I've done a fair amount of experimentation with streaming equipment, expectations have never been so tested, A>B>A results exposed some 'upgrades' as not being real upgrades, lateral or backwards move on my part.