PC-Audio vs. High-end CD Player-GAME OVER

Hi All,
I just auditioned the Wavelength Audio Cosecant DAC on a very nice system at the local dealer. It was run through a Hovland 200 preamp , a Plinius amp and Avalon Eidolon Diamond speakers. This is all in a very well treated, good-sounding room.
It was, in a word spectacular. Beautiful tone, excellent bass, imaging soundstaging, etc. What was really amazing was a sense of space, or ambience that was imparted. We then compared the same CD's (Diana Krall, Jennifer warnes, some jazz), on a Levinson CDP. I'm not saying that the levinson is the last word in players, but it was what he had on the shelf.While it sounded good, it was much more bright, and "constricted".
Control was through an Imac using I-tunes, and the CD's had been nurned using Apple Lossless.
I ordered my Crimson on the spot.

David
deshapiro
Hello David,

However, given how good my system sounds, along with the fact that I never have to get up out of the chair, I think that I may turn into a doorstop.

With all due respect to you and your fine sounding system, here are few points I'd like to introduce:

1. Many digital designers would agree that the noisy switching power supply in a PC-based audio can never come even close to a linear power supply, especially if R-Core power transformers are used. A "nice DAC" (or any other “solution”) can not help eliminating the switching power downsides. This includes a Laptop because the battery feeds a switching power supply inside.

2. Most audiophiles will confirm the unquestionable superiority of SACD and DVD-A over 44/16 Redbook CD, so having the world's best VRDS-NEO disc spinner capable of playing SACD, DAD, DVD-A and DVD Video is a welcomed feature, especially with close to 5000 SACD titles currently available.

4. The 32 bit/20 DACs per channel NWO-3.0GO universal digital player comes with a standard 192/24 digital input (you can actually hit it with 216/24) so you can enjoy the convenience of your PC-based HDD library while using the player as a DAC. You can also spin your SACDs, DADs, DVD-As, DVD Video and CDs on the VRDS-NEO if best results are desired.

5. The NWO-3.0GO comes with an optional Analog input so those hard-core audiophiles can spin their vinyl through it. Since the NWO has a built in remote controlled H-Attenuator, it negates the need of a preamp.

I hope you can hear one soon and let us know your impressions!

Regards,
Alex
Hi Alex,
I would like to hear one. Any in Chicago? As to the technical aspects of computer power supplies, I'm in complete ignorance. I've been down the SACD road, having had 4 differnet players along the way (eg. EMM Labs, Esoteric), and I think, unfortunately , that it's a dead end. It did sound superior to my earss, but there's just not enough of the music that I like to make that a selling point. I am intrigued by the fact that your DAC can accept Hi-res off of a hard drive. The DAC that I'm using, a Wavelength Audio Crimson, can accept up to 96 (?),but I don't have any music that is encoded that way. It would bve great to be able to archive and play higher resolution music.

David
David, I will be upgrading to the NWO 3.0GO in the near future, since I am in your area, let's get together, and play....then we BOTH could write some VALID comments. I happen to love the idea of computer based music, but, have not found "or heard"the love for it, you have. Let's play, and discover. See ya soon.

Steve

BTW, I love Gordon's stuff too.
1. Many digital designers would agree that the noisy switching power supply in a PC-based audio can never come even close to a linear power supply, especially if R-Core power transformers are used. A "nice DAC" (or any other “solution”) can not help eliminating the switching power downsides. This includes a Laptop because the battery feeds a switching power supply inside.

Deshapiro's DAC receives a digital stream from the PC via USB. If a fiber optic USB cable is used, the DAC is electrically isolated from the PC. If a reclocker is used in between (e.g., Empirical Audio Pace Car), then the digital signal is reclocked, reducing or eliminating any effects introduced into the digital stream from the PC. This way, PC power supply is not a factor.
Hi All,
The DAC has a separate power supply. Shouldn't that play a role in isolation? The supplied USB cable is also shielded.

David