PC-Audio vs. High-end CD Player-GAME OVER

Hi All,
I just auditioned the Wavelength Audio Cosecant DAC on a very nice system at the local dealer. It was run through a Hovland 200 preamp , a Plinius amp and Avalon Eidolon Diamond speakers. This is all in a very well treated, good-sounding room.
It was, in a word spectacular. Beautiful tone, excellent bass, imaging soundstaging, etc. What was really amazing was a sense of space, or ambience that was imparted. We then compared the same CD's (Diana Krall, Jennifer warnes, some jazz), on a Levinson CDP. I'm not saying that the levinson is the last word in players, but it was what he had on the shelf.While it sounded good, it was much more bright, and "constricted".
Control was through an Imac using I-tunes, and the CD's had been nurned using Apple Lossless.
I ordered my Crimson on the spot.

David
deshapiro
Hi David. Our collective systems have greatly evolved since we shared the same X-600.

I had independently discovered the serious advantages offered by a good NOS player. The difference between NOS and OS is just as you describe. That wont be so evident on a less revealing system. This one will be fun to audition. Thanks for the Tip.

Vince
Your message is confusing. You mention Cosecant and Levinson and order Crimson. I have no idea what you are taling about or the purpuse of your post.
A CD player is a transport that reads digital data from the disc (like a hard drive) and a DAC chip (with software/firmware) that converts the digital data to analog.

A PC audio system reads data from a hard drive (like a transport) and then feeds the digital data to a DAC.

Sounds similar? Fundamentally there is no real difference between the two implementations. In practice, timing and clocking may be implemented in a slightly different manner -slave and master clock and synchronization might be a factor.

Most likely the difference in presentation may be due to the DAC rather than where the data came from. The Cosecant DAC uses a tube output and therefore might be more "euphonic" than an SS design.

Did you try feeding the digital output from Levinson into the Cosecant DAC...this would likely highlight that it is the DAC output stage design that is most influencing what you prefer to hear.