Noisy Right Channel

So I had my stereo playing while I was getting ready for work today, and when I changed the disc, I noticed some noise coming from the right speaker, when there should have been, you know… silence. Noooooooo!

I wouldn’t describe it as a hiss, hum or static. More like an irregular crackle, similar to a radio that is between stations.

The sound didn’t increase or decrease with adjustments to the volume control. It was present regardless of whether my dac’s inputs were set to coaxial (cd transport) or usb (streamer). Was present with my dac powered off. Was present with preamplifier switched to other (unused) inputs.

My interconnects are all shielded, and, along with my speaker cables, are not routed in close proximity with my power cables.

turning off my preamp (whilst leaving amp on) did cause the sound to cease.

Is it possible that this is a symptom of a (6h30) tube approaching the end of its service life?

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

rfnoise

Also consider using some contact cleaner on the tube pins and sockets. Think about it, on a tube amp with four output tubes two drivers, depending on the tube types, that is somewhere around 40 or more mechanical connections that need to be made. Corrosion or a bad connection on just one pin can create the noise you describe.

Sometimes switching tubes from left-to-right fixes the problem because the act of removing and reinserting tubes knocks off enough corrosion to address the issue.

Of course, tubes do age and/or go bad, so that could still be the issue. But the experiment above doesn't take much time and is completely free so is always worth a try.

Thanks guys… I popped the case open and swapped the left channel tube with the right channel tube, and the noise I was hearing followed the tube and is now coming through my left channel. Cool.
Should I be concerned about continuing to use my preamp while I wait for a new pair of tubes?

Any recommendations for where to order a matched pair of Sovtek 6h30’s?

looks like tctubes.com has them listed at $89.00/pair and vivatubes.com has them listed at $127.78. Thetubestore.com doesn’t seem to have them listed for sale in matched pairs, but has them at $53.95ea. In any event, I’m unfamiliar with all three of these companies so some guidance would be much appreciated.

@sgordon1

curious about your suggestion to unplug everything for 24hrs…

Better wait for new ones. To be on the safe side.

There is a chance that this tube will do more things other than be only noisy.