New equipment

Just as I was smugly listening to and very much enjoying my MUSIC, I went and bought a new piece. At first, I was so happy with the improvement it made.  But then the audiophile monster came lurking.  I was not listening to the music anymore. I was listening to the SYSTEM.  And, of course, there’s always something that can be better.

KISS OF DEATH!

It’s taking me a while to get back to the music again.  Writing this is a good step.

BEWARE of new equipment.

128x128rvpiano

@sns 

I'm sure you guys realize one get both tone and texture along with greater resolving capabilities these days. Some amazing equipment out there, and getting better over time. You can have your cake and eat it to.

True, but I agree with @oddiofyl  if there were a hypothetical "only" one or the other choice.

Charles

OP 

The same thing happened to me.  I got to a place where I could only hear equipment and the music no longer mattered and as I wasn't in a place that I could afford or house the stereo I thought I wanted I just stopped put my albums in storage and only listened to NPR while driving.  30 years later I'm back.  My hearing isn't as good so my ability to discern nuances has diminished.  Technology has improved and  with streaming I have access to more music than I could ever listen to. 

What worked for me was expanding what I listened to.  It's hard to be critical of the sound if the music is unfamiliar.

Unfortunately, different isn't always better, and buyer's remorse is very real.

Good luck on your journey, sounds like you already know the path...

It may be interesting to note that all of the old, established, time-tested components in our systems were "new" once.

Unfortunately, it isn’t so clear cut that you listen to your system OR your music.
As pointed out, the most desirable is to listen to the music first and then everything will fall into place. However, once you’ve been bitten by the audiophile bug, your enjoyment becomes wrapped up as part of a sonic/musical experience. You listen for BOTH music AND sound. That is what makes this hobby so  precarious. The trick is to not let the sound be the prime mover.