Which device makes for a better digital music source? Computer or streamer?

I have been using a streamer for both my audio systems. A buddy of mine uses his Macbook Pro and software as a source for his audio system. I use Bluesound Node2 in one audio system and Bluesound Vault with the other. Each has an external DAC attached. My Ipad is my controller. Which source has the potential to yield the best sound? The computer as a source or the streamer? What are you using?

128x1282psyop

I started with the Node 2i, then moved to using the Node with with an external DAC (Shiit Modi Multibit). The rest of the system is Primaluna EVO 300 pre into two Primaluna EVO 100's used to biamp a pair of B&W CM7's, plus a Sunfire True sub sourced from the pre. The difference was quite noticeable in both the crispness of the bass and the detail in the highs. This made me swap out the Shiit for a Denafrips Pontus II. Major difference. But... Alvin Chee told me the Denafrips really sings on the I2S input.

So I build a RPI4, powered with a Shanti LPS, and installed MoOde, routing the USB output of that into a Denafrips Iris DDC, then I2S to the Pontus. The result is bass where you can feel the players' hands slide on the strings, a very strong midrange, and a detailed, but not too bright, high end (which is good, given the B&W's). The soundstage improvements are palpable. I think, since so much of soundstage dimension comes from small timing differences in sound origination from the speakers, the DDC helps significantly.

My main complaint is that the Qobuz native app doesn't recognize MoOde's UPnP renderer. So I listen to Qobuz over Airplay for background listening, and use Linn Kazoo (which supports UPnP but has a terrible interface for browsing) for critical listening. 

My other main complaint is the setup as-is reveals my speakers and sub as the weakest components now, so I'm getting the upgrade urge...

In summary, though, I've found that having the simplest, dedicated streamer (with LPS for noise reduction) seems to work well for me...

Why is it when people are asked to compare an audio component we are asked to do an apples to apples comparison but in pc to streamer this is thrown out the window. In general I would sure hope s $22,000 streamer would sound better than a $2000 pc. Just as a $22,000 speaker, amp, dac, and pre amp will sound better than a $2000 one.

I would say the above comment where ’will’ is used, would be for the best, if not taken literally, it is a speculation from the poster.

If a Buyer can do their homework and take the time to experience a selection of devices through a demonstration, it will be discovered there are options on offer in the HiFi Market where extremely impressive systems can be produced for a very reasonable outlay, especially when considering used items as a purchase.

@4greatmusic

If you want to get the most out of streaming… then first step is to get a high end streaming source. Sorry, I know you like Apple… that is not going to do it. Qobuz is the audiophile standard… it has well over 500,000 high resolution albums and tne quality of streaming is the best. The only serious other streaming service is Tidal… but it only has less that 20% the high resolution titles of Qobuz.

I used a Mac / MacBook and a PC and get good sound… but nothing in comparison to Qobuz with a dedicated streamer. Hey, if you are happy with what you have, that is great. But there is better… there always is.