Empyrean Headphones/Sennheiser HDVD 800 + 'what DAC'?

I have a great setup in my sound room w/ tube amp, DAC and speakers but looking to set something up in another room that is a bit more portable.  I already have the headphones & headphone amp listed above but looking for the right DAC.  Would a Dragonfly Red or Cobalt be a good fit, or some other compact DAC?  Opinions/Advice??

labelman

I used the Dragonfly Red for a while when I was getting started in HeadFi and still use it for when I’m on the move, but your system would benefit from a better DAC IMHO.   What are you using for a DAC now (if any), and what sound characteristics are you looking for and are most important to you?  

I used the Empy (a warm headphone) with a Benchmark HPA4 preamp/headphone amp and a Benchmark DAC3B. It was a great combo since the neutral Benchmark gear matched the warm Empy. A used Benchmark DAC2 maybe available for under $1000. It sounds the same as my latest DAC3B (I had both before).

I didn't think the HDVD had a DAC but it looks like (from looking online) that perhaps it does??  Anyone know for sure?  If so, then do I just hook it up to my Macbook and use Tidal or Roon for music streaming?

Portability is nice but not necessary- the setup will stay in my office or garage mostly.  A DAC that goes nicely with this would be good.  

Just hook up the MacBook Pro to the USB on the back of the DAC section of the amp. It is not the best way to go buy for a garage that would be OK. For my office I use much better streaming approaches and do not let the computer touch the DAC section.

With Sennheiser’s HDVD 800, sound is perfect. The HDVD 800 is able to connect with digital sources and is equipped with a high-quality Burr-Brown digital/analog converter (DAC) that converts digital audio data into analog signals with a resolution of 24 bits and a sampling rate of up to 192 kHz. This enables the HDVD 800 to transmit the entire frequency spectrum of high-end audio sources without any loss of frequencies.

In addition to the symmetrical inputs, the HDVD 800 also has an asymmetrical input socket; incoming signals are symmetrized before further processing takes place. Digital sources can be connected to the rear of the unit via an XLR (AES/EBU) input, optical and coaxial (S/PDIF) digital inputs or USB. All digital inputs accept signals up to 24 bit at 192 KHz*. Designed and manufactured in Germany, this high-end, solid-state amplifier harmonize perfectly and deliver an ultimate acoustic performance when paired with any of Sennheiser’s audiophile headphones.