Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

@tomthiel

I don’t like the bright drivers either. Since they are anodized, any color would have been possible. My choice would have been charcoal to dark bronze with bronze hardware instead of gold. Maybe next time around . . .

In the category of "audiophiles think of the craziest things..."

I’ve sometimes wondered how possible it would be to alter the color of a speaker driver. As an example, take the white woofer of the 2.7 or the aluminum midrange.

What would happen if you lightly spray painted them black or something? What, if any, sonic cost might be incurred? My intuition is that if it’s going to alter the sound it would do so more with the upper drivers (mid/tweeter) vs woofers.

Anyone looking for a pair of 2.3 coaxial drivers? I wish these were new/old stock 3.6 tweeters. I’d like to buy and compare unused aluminum tweeters with my new replacement soft dome tweeters.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisai53b-thiel-cs-2-3-full-range

prof - black paint is typically carbon pigment, which is light-weight as pigments go.

The issue would be added mass proportional to the extant moving mass. I suspect that in a woofer or midrange, the added mass would be functionally inconsequential, but in a tweeter it might matter.

I'm interested enough to try a light misting coat on my CS1.6 woofers. I can sweep before and after and compare output including all harmonics and time domain performance.

I'll use lacquer so I can wipe it off if necessary.

Tom,

That would be a really cool experiment.!  I'd like to read about the results.