New PrimaLuna versus used Audio Research preamp?

As posted previously, I'm shopping tube preamps.

Have an opportunity to buy a friend's ARC Reference 5SE, as he upgraded to a new 6SE.

Alternatively, a new PL EVO 300 or 400 is also on my radar, and even new would cost 20% to 30% less than the used 5SE.

Anyone here experience both units and brands?

Thanks!

bobbydd

Heard a few PM pres and not impressed but that ARC can sound special mated to right amp IMHO

Easy, used Audio Research Ref 5SE. I owned one for nearly ten years… now I have an ARC REF 6se. I also own a Prima Luna integrated. ARC’s preamps are world class. They have been at the forefront of the best sound possible for decades. Although they took a little stumble on the REF 1 and 2… after that got back on track with the Reference series. You can see my system under my user ID.

The REF5SE is one you could be proud to is for decades. The more ARC you add the better and better the sound gets. Assuming you like detailed, natural, and highly musical sound. If you like highly detailed at any cost and artificially over accentuated slam, then no, this is not the right direction… but neither is PrimaLuna.

Since opinions are being solicited, here’s mine. I believe that the used ARC Reference 5 SE is the better sounding and higher quality line stage.  In the long term I feel it will prove to be more satisfying and something you can build an audio system around as a foundational component.

Charles